Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which intercooler is best

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Default Which intercooler is best

Looking into taking the big leap and getting a S/C, But have a couple of questions. Which of the 2 intercoolers work the best air2air or air2water? Also I know this has come up a MILLION times but what are the pro and cons of a roots vs a centrifugal S/C? Also who makesthe best for the buck? I have heard horror stories with the Procharger. I know some of these questions are going to get personel opinion answers. Has there been a Magazine that has done a write up on the different S/C, like 5.0 magazine did on CAI? Thanks alot everyone for your answers.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which intercooler is best

If there is room for it, air to air is best. Drag racing is different because they use ice cold water for the intercooler because their races are so short, so if your interest is drag racing then an air to water intercooler is best.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Copied from another forum

My vote is for a twin-screw Positive Displacement Blower. Both the Saleen, and KB are twin screw designs. The adiabatic efficiency of a twin-screw far surpasses the Roots or the Centri style. This is the overall effeciency of the blower. Basically it's ability to make hp with less boost/less parasitic load. The only other power adder that comes close is a turbo setup.

As for the Roots style, it is also a PD blower, but an older design. A roots is a "looser" fit than a Twin-Screw blower so it has less drag under cruise, but has more "blowby" during high boost/loads, so it's less efficient under load. Anyway here are some comparisons for you:

1. Twin Screw pros:
a. Mild mannered, easy to drive fast, very predictable, linear power curve
b. Quieter in non-boost situations
c. Huge low end torque (400 ft-lbs at 2800RPM) no need for lower gears and lower MPG
d. More usable power on the street due to torque and linear power curve. On 90% of my "Street Races" the other person gives up in the first 100 ft because I "Frog hop" them sooooo Bad. I usually start at 2000 RPM in second gear and the race is over by 5500 in second!!! I never have to go over 75 MPH!!
e. Easy to install and maintain. ONE belt and oil change every 50K miles.

2. Twin Screw Cons:
a. Expensive 4-6K for basic setup
b. heavy. Adds 50-60 lbs to front end of car.
c. Harder on driveline components. Huge low end torque is a bit more stressful on stock components.
d. Hotter. Engine will suffer a bit from "heat Soak" due to extra metal casing from S/C
e. Less MPG. Expect 1-2mpg less overall.
f. Limited High HP potential. (There the law of diminishing returns)
g. "Seem" slower because of very smooth, linear power delivery.

Centrifugal S/C Pros
a. lighter (smaller components)
b. cooler. (also do to smaller components) Less heat sink
c. Less expensive ( about 3.5 -5.5K for good kit)
e. Higher HP potential. (Centi S/C is basically a belt driven Turbo)
f. Get a "Rush" when the power comes on

Centrifugal S/C Cons
a. very troublesome to install. (Many pieces, hoses clamps, fittings, brackets, etc) Look at some of the pics of a Twins screw kit and then look at a Centi kit.
b. higher maintance costs, and time. Lots of fitting, clamps, brackets, etc to get loose.
c. Lack low end torque. Have to "spool up" to get power.
d. Less driveable, more unpredictable power delivery. Harder to control especially in traction limited invironments. A twin screw with good tires will have better traction even though there is more torque because the power delivery is even and controlled, not "on -off" like a centi, or a turbo.
e. Noisy. (All around the loudest of all three discussed here)

Turbo Pros:

a. Cooler (turbo is not doing much when not in boost
b. better MPG (no parasitic draw when not in use)
c. Very high HP potential (U can really turn up the boost on these!)
d. Quiet, even in boost they are very quite
e. Driveability is good. They do have some of the on-off like a Centi S/C but can be controlled easier with boost controllers.
f. Not as hard on engine, driveline components.

Turbo Cons:
a. heavy. Usually as much as twin screw because of all the plumbing/piping involved
b. very troublesome/time consuming to install
c. Also more maintenance hungry. (pipes fittings, hoses etc)
d. No torque down low. (have to spool up).
e. Expensive. Good turbo kits are 6-8K
f. harder to tune

So there you have it. Basically it really boils down to what you want to use the car for. If you want a fire breating 1/4 mile beast, get a Centi S/C, you'll get the most bang for the buck, but loose streetability, and will work on it much more. If you want quiet, super High HP, best MPG, then get a turbo. If you want a "street killa" that will kick most people in the ditch and still provide good daily "Stock like" driveability, and be the most maitenance friendly, get a twinscrew!! I've owned turbo cars before, and I'll tell you, the twin screw is the best fit for all around daily street use with the occasional 1/4 mile jaunt. I wouldn't have anything else.
Also:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bell_shootout/

As for the bang for the buck, when it comes down to supercharging you don't really want to skip on certain stuff because its cheaper. It might end up up costing you BIG time down the road...

Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

air to air w/ meth injection!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Air to Air with Meth in the tank not injected