Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's a good supercharger for an '05?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:57 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What's a good supercharger for an '05?

Whoever said the vortech has driveabiltiy issues?

Centrifi's usally are the easiest to tune for driveability. The only exception is the procharger and then the only issue comes with high boost because it is air to air cooled.
(high boost to me is 15+ psi)
Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Whoever said the vortech has driveabiltiy issues?

Centrifi's usally are the easiest to tune for driveability. The only exception is the procharger and then the only issue comes with high boost because it is air to air cooled.
(high boost to me is 15+ psi)
Um, I didn't say the Vortech has any issues, in my view it's like my car was meant to have it, very drivable and easily a good daily driver.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I was commenting to the thread starter in his first post.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Any of them work great!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: bluene05GT

I'd like to hear your experiences with different kinds of superchargers.
The only thing I've heard so far is Vortech has driveability issues.
Any others?
I want to put want on on but want the right one and still be able to drive the car every day

NO DRIVABLITITY ISSUES HERE

very easy to drive around town and when you get on the car its a BEAST!!! makes a great DD IMO!!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I'd like to hear your experiences with different kinds of superchargers.
The only thing I've heard so far is Vortech has driveability issues.
Any others?
I want to put want on on but want the right one and still be able to drive the car every day
my saleen has major drivability issues..the more I drive it....the more issues it has...like MAJOR FUN....and The occassional ricer who challenges me....oh wait ...those are not really issues....LOL....actually no issues...I live and love the power.....
Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

I have the cheapest Centri available, the Powerdyne Supercharger. Kick *** unit, amazing bang for the back. Only problems I've had so far was with my sloppy install.

~Fred
Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

This is my experience with the Procharger P1Sc HO. I have no experience with any other s/c, so cannot make any comparison with them. I have friends that have other types and they seem every bit as satisfied as I.

I had the Procharger installed, so there were no installation issues for me. I didn't hear of any problems though with the install. For $49, I bought the extended warranty, good for 3 years or 36,000 miles on the unit. The unit has about 6500 miles and 0 issues. The Procharger oil has been changed once at 5000 miles (recommended at 6000 miles). I went on a 850 miles round trip, a month ago and got 24.9 mpg (95% highway driving). I have called Procharger a few times to get an opinion on this or that, and found them to be courteous and very responsive to questions. I can upgrade the P to a D series by sending the head unit back to Procharger for the upgrade. It cannot be be upgraded however to the F series. I will probably sell the P down the road to get the F. Procharger seems to be very well established in monster boost dragracing, maybe even more than their street models.

It's very easy to drive as a daily because the power band is above about 3600-3800 rpm. Again I have no experience with any other s/c but imagine they would be all good as daily drivers, just different. It's a centri so it's hungry for rpms. If you're looking for instant boost, the Procharger is probably not for you. After 4000 rpm the boost just keeps climbing and climbing....it never seems to stop. You have to watch out for that, because you can run lean as I did after 6000 rpm. It was making more boost than advertized and I needed to seriously upgrade the fuel system to match the boost. At 6400 rpm, the dynotuner confirmed it was at 14lbs boost. He shut it down at that point but was OK with the boost level and the air/fuel ratio was at 11.3 at 6400 rpm.

It's quite loud compared to other types. You either like that or you don't. If you're looking for a sleeper, don't get the Procharger. My neighbours say it sounds like a jet-engine coming down the street (at about 20 mph). Under the hood, it's quite different from a KB for example. To some folk that's important. The P is packed tightly in front and to one side of the motor. The KB sits atop the motor, which actually looks awesome.
So how is the car runnin with the new 3 speed trans? any 1/4mile times yet? (I know...diffirent topic)
Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

I think I would choose a twin-screw over a centrifical. I had an '04 Cobra and I liked the instant power. So my choice would be between kenne bell, Ford Racing, Saleen, and Roush. Guess I need to do a lot research.
Guess you do, the Roush is not a Twin Screw. It is a Roots type blower.[&:]
Old 05-22-2007, 05:46 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Arwing

Do you want a twin screw or centrifugal?

My vote is for a twin-screw Positive Displacement Blower. Both the Saleen, and KB are twin screw designs. The adiabatic efficiency of a twin-screw far surpasses the Roots or the Centri style. This is the overall effeciency of the blower. Basically it's ability to make hp with less boost/less parasitic load. The only other power adder that comes close is a turbo setup.

As for the Roots style, it is also a PD blower, but an older design. A roots is a "looser" fit than a Twin-Screw blower so it has less drag under cruise, but has more "blowby" during high boost/loads, so it's less efficient under load. Anyway here are some comparisons for you:

1. Twin Screw pros:
a. Mild mannered, easy to drive fast, very predictable, linear power curve
b. Quieter in non-boost situations
c. Huge low end torque (400 ft-lbs at 2800RPM) no need for lower gears and lower MPG
d. More usable power on the street due to torque and linear power curve. On 90% of my "Street Races" the other person gives up in the first 100 ft because I "Frog hop" them sooooo Bad. I usually start at 2000 RPM in second gear and the race is over by 5500 in second!!! I never have to go over 75 MPH!!
e. Easy to install and maintain. ONE belt and oil change every 50K miles.

2. Twin Screw Cons:
a. Expensive 4-6K for basic setup
b. heavy. Adds 50-60 lbs to front end of car.
c. Harder on driveline components. Huge low end torque is a bit more stressful on stock components.
d. Hotter. Engine will suffer a bit from "heat Soak" due to extra metal casing from S/C
e. Less MPG. Expect 1-2mpg less overall.
f. Limited High HP potential. (There the law of diminishing returns)
g. "Seem" slower because of very smooth, linear power delivery.

Centrifugal S/C Pros
a. lighter (smaller components)
b. cooler. (also do to smaller components) Less heat sink
c. Less expensive ( about 3.5 -5.5K for good kit)
e. Higher HP potential. (Centi S/C is basically a belt driven Turbo)
f. Get a "Rush" when the power comes on

Centrifugal S/C Cons
a. very troublesome to install. (Many pieces, hoses clamps, fittings, brackets, etc) Look at some of the pics of a Twins screw kit and then look at a Centi kit.
b. higher maintance costs, and time. Lots of fitting, clamps, brackets, etc to get loose.
c. Lack low end torque. Have to "spool up" to get power.
d. Less driveable, more unpredictable power delivery. Harder to control especially in traction limited invironments. A twin screw with good tires will have better traction even though there is more torque because the power delivery is even and controlled, not "on -off" like a centi, or a turbo.
e. Noisy. (All around the loudest of all three discussed here)

Turbo Pros:

a. Cooler (turbo is not doing much when not in boost
b. better MPG (no parasitic draw when not in use)
c. Very high HP potential (U can really turn up the boost on these!)
d. Quiet, even in boost they are very quite
e. Driveability is good. They do have some of the on-off like a Centi S/C but can be controlled easier with boost controllers.
f. Not as hard on engine, driveline components.

Turbo Cons:
a. heavy. Usually as much as twin screw because of all the plumbing/piping involved
b. very troublesome/time consuming to install
c. Also more maintenance hungry. (pipes fittings, hoses etc)
d. No torque down low. (have to spool up).
e. Expensive. Good turbo kits are 6-8K
f. harder to tune

So there you have it. Basically it really boils down to what you want to use the car for. If you want a fire breating 1/4 mile beast, get a Centi S/C, you'll get the most bang for the buck, but loose streetability, and will work on it much more. If you want quiet, super High HP, best MPG, then get a turbo. If you want a "street killa" that will kick most people in the ditch and still provide good daily "Stock like" driveability, and be the most maitenance friendly, get a twinscrew!! I've owned turbo cars before, and I'll tell you, the twin screw is the best fit for all around daily street use with the occasional 1/4 mile jaunt. I wouldn't have anything else.
that chart is very out dated and incorrect

Andrew