Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Another newbie needs a bit of help :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Default Another newbie needs a bit of help :)

Hello everyone, I need a bit of help here before i buy my car

I have decided to buy myself a Black Mustang GT coupe 06> But before I travel around the world and buy this car , I would like to have some first hand info about it.

We can start off with the durability of the car, how much money will I have to spend to keep this car running? Is there alot of things that will fall apart from it?
Shortly said, I would like to know everything about the cars quality, so I can decide if its really worth it to me.

What is the first thing that should be done to this car when I buy it?

previously I have been driving a Vovlo T5R with around 300 hp and that was quite a nice car, sadly it is gone forever, and now I would like to feel something even more powerfull, like maybeeeee a mustang! with some extra boost on?

I was thinking on trim the car until I reach 350-400 HP, I have learnd that between that range there is almost no risk of blowing the engine so I tought that I would start with that amount of power. What is the best way for me to gain these extra HP?

The sound of the car stock, is really nice, I tryed one at a car sell a month back but it would be nice to have a car with a bit more power in the voice at higer, so not to noisy when just crusing, but when flooring it I would like to hear a roar from the engine, is this possible to get?

I cant come up with more things to ask at the moment but I will surely ask somemore in this thread later on, everyt bit of info you can send my way is greatly appriciated, and if you feel that you know something that I should know, please tell me

Oh, whats the best to do when you are storing your car for winter? Oil changes, starting it up now and then, have the car uplifted not to soften up the suspenison, etc etc.

Tacks in advance

Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Another newbie needs a bit of help :)

Umm, 350-400 is tough...you'll have to either do internals, blower or nitrous...as for winter storage...yea, pretty much however you like...

The cars are of great quality....mine as 40,000KILOMETRES...dunno the exchange to miles...but i've had to do nothing on it...just oil changes...

I am currently running 300WHP (give or take a few) and I havent touched the exhaust, except axle-back.

To get the low grunt noise when you punch it...just get a set of new mufflers...you'll be content with that.

Anything under 450RWHP is safe on the internals and block...so no worries there...

Congrats on the new stang, your going to absolutely LOVE it!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Roy
1st Gear Member

What would you have chosen if it was your car that was having the boost? Nitrous isnt really what Im looking for I think, but maybe someone will convince me otherwise

What type of mufflers would suit my needs ? I am extremly newbie in almost anything on a car but Im trying to learn, my dad is a mechanic tough and have been working with all kindes of cars since he was 12, and he can fix everything there is it seems, so installing of parts and such wont be a problem.

Thanks for the info and the gratz, tough I havent bought it yet, planning on having the car bought delivered around april next year. It takes sometime for me to save the amount needed, with the swedish tax on import cars I will have to pay around 34% extra just to get the car here. But hopefully I will be driving a mustang next summer, thanks again and if you or anyone have more info to share, then bring it on )
Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
CTE
1st Gear Member

Roy,

I have an 06 Black GT, and here is what have done to it, which has made it a nice car and good performer.

As a side note on the proposed HP, WHY? You don't need it, and for you to really use the extra HP other than the ego trip that you have knowing that it is there, the car doesn't need it. If you want to harness the extra HP, you'll need to re-work the suspension, and then for normal street travel and cruising, you don't need it unless your are trying to race folks on the street. (not a good idea).

Anyway, here is what I did:
1. C&L cold air intake from Brenspeed and new "tune" (Eliminates throttle lag and boosts rear wheel HP)
2. Hurst short throw shifter (Ford should have done this from the beginning)
3. Ford Racing (Borla) axle back exhausts (great sound)
4. Dark tint on side and back windows, great look on a black car.
5. Side window louvers
6. Retro american mag style rims

Other little stuff is: a shorty antenna, hood struts, plenum cover, and chrome trim around the tail lights

Only regret is the attention a black car requires to keep clean, but it is worth it. Black is beautiful.

I get many comments on how nice the car looks and the sound of the exhaust.

This is just one of many opinions, good luck on the adventure of the Mustang. Any way you go with it, it will be fun and satisfying!

CTE aka Scubadog

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/D0E9681A522B47C099274BB636A05BDE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/BE6403173E05485C8F0CA0A72EA0B504.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/2FDF95BD94474F848E92C292C3BE408F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CTE

Roy,

I have an 06 Black GT, and here is what have done to it, which has made it a nice car and good performer.

As a side note on the proposed HP, WHY? You don't need it, and for you to really use the extra HP other than the ego trip that you have knowing that it is there, the car doesn't need it. If you want to harness the extra HP, you'll need to re-work the suspension, and then for normal street travel and cruising, you don't need it unless your are trying to race folks on the street. (not a good idea).

Anyway, here is what I did:
1. C&L cold air intake from Brenspeed and new "tune" (Eliminates throttle lag and boosts rear wheel HP)
2. Hurst short throw shifter (Ford should have done this from the beginning)
3. Ford Racing (Borla) axle back exhausts (great sound)
4. Dark tint on side and back windows, great look on a black car.
5. Side window louvers
6. Retro american mag style rims

Other little stuff is: a shorty antenna, hood struts, plenum cover, and chrome trim around the tail lights

Only regret is the attention a black car requires to keep clean, but it is worth it. Black is beautiful.

I get many comments on how nice the car looks and the sound of the exhaust.

This is just one of many opinions, good luck on the adventure of the Mustang. Any way you go with it, it will be fun and satisfying!

CTE aka Scubadog

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/D0E9681A522B47C099274BB636A05BDE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/BE6403173E05485C8F0CA0A72EA0B504.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43280/2FDF95BD94474F848E92C292C3BE408F.jpg[/IMG]
+1. In addition, I would change the lower and upper control arms, get 4.10 or 4.30 gear, Long Tube Headers with highflow Cats (that will helpgive you the sound you are looking for as well as added performanceand an aluminum driveshaft. I would also get a better gripping set of tires.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

the exhaust you get will depend on your laws, i find the stock exhaust to be loud enough. i have 7000 miles, only did one oil change, i hit a deer going about 20 mph and used the opportunity to get a cervini concept ram air hood (about $1,000), ill need new rear tires at the end of summer likely (go figure), get a convertible, you will turn heads. my total mods about $2,000. i love the car, get loads of compliments