Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installing your own LT Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default Installing your own LT Headers

Has anyone installed their own LT headers on a GT? I have heard this is not easy and most people take it in to a shop.

However I am not thrilled to pay like $1000 for the install. I have done headers on several hot rods in the past, and I'll probably attempt it myself.

Can one of you who has done it yourself let me know what problems you hit? I heard you have to unbolt the engine from the mounts and lift it some. Is there anyting else that makes it difficult?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing your own LT Headers

Its quite difficult, u need to take out the steering column and motor mount from the left side. And from the right side u need to take out the starter and engine mount as well... keeping the motor in a base so it doesn´t move at all. Dynatech instructions said that it was needed to be raised 2" aprox.

I didn´t installed mine myself, but i was there the whole time it took to install mines.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

You probably dont have access to an engine lift do you? I did so we just dropped the K-member. The only problems I ran into after that was on the passenger side header we had to modify 1 of the stock bolts(the actual name slipped my mind not an actual bolt) so we could tighten it down. Also these were with BBK headers so you might not have that problem with another brand or if yo use after market header bolts. Its really not that hard its just a major PITA.

Also I used the gaskets that came with my headers but everyone suggestes to me to buy some felpro gaskets.(believe thats the name)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys

Yes I do have an engine lift. So you're saying if I unbolt the engine at the motor mounts, I can just lift it and not have to worry about any other parts being in the way? Starter, Steering Column like MexGT said?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

I did my JBAs with jack stands and a creaper out on my slab... Way too much detail to type at the moment...if you PM me your number I can call you and give you the complete break down.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

Thanks guys

Yes I do have an engine lift. So you're saying if I unbolt the engine at the motor mounts, I can just lift it and not have to worry about any other parts being in the way? Starter, Steering Column like MexGT said?
You would probably need to make sure the tranny isnt bolted down to the car or like a cross member or w/e its called but yeah. The starter unbolts off the motor and the steering column I believe just unbolts too.

Actually on my car the steering column goes around the LTs so I didnt have to unbolt it. These BBKs also tuck nicely under the car. Ill go snap some pics for you and d/l them on here.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:46 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

You can see in this pic what im talking about.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

uhmmmm i couldn't even take out the stock maniful with the steering column there.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
DOBERMAN
1st Gear Member

I just raised the engine and removed the motor mount brackets. Left everything else inplace. It's not too bad but it will take longer than you expect.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Don't waste your money on taking it to the shop! DO IT YOURSELF and pocket the $$$. Just follow the instructions and everything should work out. If not there are alot of very knowledgable people on this site that would help you out! good luck

Quick Reply: Installing your own LT Headers