Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

burning, frying, roasting the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: burning, frying, roasting the tires?

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Yeah that is my problem.....it doesnt sit there and spin like it used to......a little rubber laid and then takes off.....good for the track, sucks for trying to put a show on[:@]
Same here!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Jito007
2nd Gear Member

i get some pretty bad wheel hop. it sucks! i get broken up tire streaks
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

I thought they were only like 32psi?
thats where it says cold tire inflation pressure. tires say 44 max, i think optimal is somewhere in between. they'll wear faster and get worse mileage if pressure is too low.
You'll get better mileage but your tires will wear faster. If your tires are over inflated, you're putting more pressure on the middle part of the tread. You will eventually notice that the middle part f your tread is gone but there is plenty of tread on the outside of the tire. I too thought that the car ran much better with 40 psi, then I took the tires off for the winter and noticed they were almost bald in the middle.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

You'll get better mileage but your tires will wear faster. If your tires are over inflated, you're putting more pressure on the middle part of the tread. You will eventually notice that the middle part f your tread is gone but there is plenty of tread on the outside of the tire. I too thought that the car ran much better with 40 psi, then I took the tires off for the winter and noticed they were almost bald in the middle.
+1
The pressure that's shown on the plateis what you want to use under normal driving conditions. It maximizes handling, traction, and tire wear.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ski

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

+1
The pressure that's shown on the plateis what you want to use under normal driving conditions. It maximizes handling, traction, and tire wear.
+1 and better ride quality too. I'm not going over to the garage to check but plate had something like 28psi or low 30's like 32 as I recall. Max pressure is way too high, sure you can spin easier with that...
Old 08-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

thats where it says cold tire inflation pressure. tires say 44 max, i think optimal is somewhere in between. they'll wear faster and get worse mileage if pressure is too low.
40 PSI on a 44 max PSI tire is WAY too much. Both my tires and my wife's state 44 max psi on the sidewall. I keep both cars at 37 cold Psi. that's Plenty. 40psi is like a rock. You will get tire spin and lose traction very easliy at 40 and above. If you rotate your tires like you're supposed to you will get pretty even wear. 32 is too low unless you're at the strip. You will get outer tire tread scrubbing from that when you corner hard.

The plate is only good for OEM tires which are typically rated at 35 psi.. Most people forget that.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

40 PSI on a 44 max PSI tire is WAY too much. Both my tires and my wife's state 44 max psi on the sidewall. I keep both cars at 37 cold Psi. that's Plenty. 40psi is like a rock. You will get tire spin and lose traction very easliy at 40 and above. If you rotate your tires like you're supposed to you will get pretty even wear. 32 is too low unless you're at the strip. You will get outer tire tread scrubbing from that when you corner hard.

The plate is only good for OEM tires which are typically rated at 35 psi.. Most people forget that.
ok, ya made me go look; plate says 32 cold. I'm running OEM Pirellis and I know I set them at 2 below the plate so mine are at 30. Not a daily driver, not worried about tire wear at 2 below; I do it for softer ride. ...not that I could tell the difference between 30 and 32, just a psychological thing.[X(]
Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

careful settin em too high.. i wouldnt go over 35.. reason being, ya, you get better gas milage, and correct, it is bad to have them under like 28.. for mileage and wear reasons.. but when they are at 40, you wont get and even tread wear either, they will wear faster then if it was at 32.. bc you wont have 100% tread touching the surface.. it expands outwards, almost eggshaped, and it wont wear evenly, mainly all in the center..

and you also run a higher risk of if you hit a pot hole, or anything in the road, or a curb for sure.. your lookin at higher chances of a blow out or side wall damage, which means you can expect to have to buy a new tire, because there is no safe fix, that any shop will do..

any other quesitons, ask me, i work at discount tire, so i can probly help.. (PM me tho, bc i probably wont check back to this thread)
Old 08-25-2007, 09:53 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

32 is too low unless you're at the strip. You will get outer tire tread scrubbing from that when you corner hard.
Please note that I stated "The pressure that's shown on the plateis what you want to use under normal driving conditions." Cornering hard is not considered"normal driving".
Also, theOEM Pirellis on my Stang are rated 51 psi max, I always keep them at 32 psi, rotate them every 5K miles, and they are wearing evenly.