Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SCT2 and JLT problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default SCT2 and JLT problem - HELP!

So here's the deal. I contacted Doug at B^#& this morning via email. I installed a JLT intake and SCT2 with B|AMA tunez back around mid June. System was running great and car had some good response. About 6 weeks ago, I started noticing what I can only describe as a rattle or something very similar to dieseling coming from under the hood. At first I thought perhaps it was the plastic support with the JLT and the intake itself rattling, but I put some cloth in there temporarily...nothing helped....obviously not rattling from something loose on the intake end...then with the wife keeping the rpm's at the "optimum rattle range" I tracked it down to the head on the drivers side. It was coming from under the valve cover. First thought was uninstall all the goodies, return to stock and take it back to Ford for diagnosis....a valve or something is screwy. So I returned everything to stock (just intake and tune all that was done to engine) and started it up. Problem is COMPLETELY gone. No matter what I try I cannot make it reproduce the rattle or dieseling sound. It runs just like before.

Ideas?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT2 and JLT problem - HELP!

sounds like you had pinging with the
dali b amas tune, not sure why tho

maybe bad gas or not enough octane
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would load the tunes back up and try each one you have and see if you have any problems....wait until you get rid of this tank of gas though and then bolt everything back up. If this is will the car just sitting there idling it isnt pinging but not sure what it is right off hand either
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 PM
balli

That or try the canned SCT tune and see if the rattle returns.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:24 AM
MIRAGEGT

Balli, i saw on another forum that you had a new canned SCT tune. How did you get it ?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 AM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Yea, definitely reload the tune...sounds like some detonation

Let us know how it works.

Also reset the battery for good measure
Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

On reloading the tune, should I do that with the stock intake and see how it runs? I think that I am potentially getting detonation even with the car stock tune. It's sounds a little like pinging. If I understand what pinging is correctly, I hear a steady tick (very light) and the car has always had that sound. Sort of like the ball in a spray paint can, but much lighter and very steady. I'll check again and if the tick is there, should I take it to the dealer and tell them I think I am getting detonation? I run 91 in it (93 is very hard to find in my area) and with 91 there should be no detonation anyway...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 AM
davisda1

Are you sure it's not the fuel injectors?
You might want to talk to Ford about this.
I had the same thing running stock, but it would go away after a short time after startup. Ford said the fuel injectors will do this for a short while then after warming up the should stop.
Also I've seenpost where you don't want to run the recomended 6 quarts of oil like I did. I filled it up to the line on the stick and I can tell the car likes that a lot better.
Just some ideas.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If this is really a knock or detonation I should be able to correct this with higher octane? I can only find 91 anywhere close to my house which is what I was running and what the tune was at. Do octane boosters really work and if so, should I go that route to see if it goes away?