Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which mods reduce low end torque?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which mods reduce low end torque?

um, gears have no effect on engine torque.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

So does anyone have actual dyno graphs of before and after delete plates all done on the same day? Probably not.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64232

I knew they were around somewhere Granted, this pull seems to start at around 3500rpm so it doesn't show the affect on low end torque.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

Gear don't "increase" engine torque they do however multiply engine torque at the sacrafice of increased engine revolutions. The higher the gear ratio, the more torque being put to the ground and the faster the motor will rev.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Doug from Bama Chips.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smythge

Gear don't "increase" engine torque they do however multiply engine torque at the sacrafice of increased engine revolutions. The higher the gear ratio, the more torque being put to the ground and the faster the motor will rev.
If you want to get picky, deeper gears WILL cause more of your engine torque to be spent spinning up the flywheel, balancer, engine internals, etc.- in short, every moving or rotating thing in the powertrain that's in front of the ring gear itself will "steal" a little more torque as the gearing gets shorter. Don't worry, you still come out ahead. But not as fast as you shorten the gearing.

For the person who mentioned road-racing a while back - what you want there is midrange torque that doesn't fall on its face at higher revs. Much more of your time is spent accelerating out of corners than at or nearly at top speed, so you can generally sacrifice a little up top to gain in the middle. It'll even cut down on the number of shifts you need to make per lap sometimes.

Norm
Old 12-28-2007, 01:06 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I fully understand that. They actually reduce torque as seen on dyno graphs. I should have clarified, they increase the SOTP torque in the bottom end of the rev range.

So what is the verdict, do delete plates reduce low end torque below 3K?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Shorter gears...lol
Old 12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I guess I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned with the effect of a mod that's minor to begin with, below 3000 RPM. If you're racing, your engine should never see less than 3000 rpm anyway so whatever's going on below 3000 rpm is moot (once you're out of first gear, the engine should stay above 4000).
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I guess I'm not sure why anyone would be concerned with the effect of a mod that's minor to begin with, below 3000 RPM. If you're racing, your engine should never see less than 3000 rpm anyway so whatever's going on below 3000 rpm is moot (once you're out of first gear, the engine should stay above 4000).
You beat me to it,.....this is my thought too. the CMDP may reduce the torq in the low RPMs (under 2k) but you are hardly in those ranges at all, especially when racing.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

But that's only half the story, the half that assumes that you're racing.

The other half addresses throttle response under the more normal daily-driving conditions where under 3000 rpm covers 99+ % of the time and distance. I suspect that the OP wants to know whether it's barely noticeable or if it's bad enough to make it feel like you've always got the tranny in about one too high of a gear.

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which mods reduce low end torque?