Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FI and RPM question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FI and RPM question

i understand that part. But the supercharger works only as hard as the input is spinning, in this case the input being the pully system. So if it only has one speed the amount of boost made at 3000 RPM does not change from one situation to another (varies slightly due to ambient surroundings i guess). The throttle position then must be what determines that psi-a in the manifold right?

I thought that was the pitfall to a supercharger, where as the amount of boost a turbo creates is a function of engine load and boost controls which is a plus to the turbo.

This is just how i understood it, i may be wrong.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

On a Roots (Like Roush, Magnuson) it takes like 1/3 bhp to spin the rotors when bypassed.
On a Screw Type like a Kenne Bell, Saleen, or Whipple I think it takes slightly more but still not much.
Whipple claims 1 hp. I indeed see 40hp on the aeroforce gauge when cruising in 5th at 70mph.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

Can a supercharger produce vacuum and boost at the same RPM under different conditions?
As hammeron said, the supercharger doesn't produce vacuum. When cruising in 3rd gear at say 4,000 rpms you will still have a vacuum in the intake manifold. Not much vacuum, but still a vacuum. When you push the throttle past a certain % and go from vacuum to no vacuum the bypass valve will close and boost will fill the intake manifold and be pushed into the combustion chamber when the intake valves open. The twin screw blowers do not rely on engine rpm to make boost, the centris and turbos do.

So to answer your question, yes you can have vacuum and boost at the same rpms under different conditions. Starting from a stop at 1/4 throttle i'd have vacuum, starting at full throttle i'd have an instant 8lbs of boost with the whipple HO and with street tires i'd have the rev limiter shortly after that.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well stated, i concur
Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

alright that makes sense....i did not realize there was a bypass valve on superchargers, thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

Can a supercharger produce vacuum and boost at the same RPM under different conditions?
As hammeron said, the supercharger doesn't produce vacuum. When cruising in 3rd gear at say 4,000 rpms you will still have a vacuum in the intake manifold. Not much vacuum, but still a vacuum. When you push the throttle past a certain % and go from vacuum to no vacuum the bypass valve will close and boost will fill the intake manifold and be pushed into the combustion chamber when the intake valves open. The twin screw blowers do not rely on engine rpm to make boost, the centris and turbos do.

So to answer your question, yes you can have vacuum and boost at the same rpms under different conditions. Starting from a stop at 1/4 throttle i'd have vacuum, starting at full throttle i'd have an instant 8lbs of boost with the whipple HO and with street tires i'd have the rev limiter shortly after that.
Great explanation Moose! I was going to respond that YES you can have boost and vacuum under the same conditions and you explained it much better than I would have...