Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shifting auto=wow!~

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shifting auto=wow!~

ORIGINAL: flg2010

If you are going to race you need to buy a manual mustang, if your going to drive a lot, especially city, then an auto transmission makes more sense unless you love manual. Shifting an auto? Great way to end up with problems.
I'm sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous.

The fastests cars at the strip are ALWAYS the autos. Autos have and always will dominate the drag strip...

Two-step or not - you will never be able to leave as hard and consistent with a manual as you will with a trans brake...[&:]
Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Honest question from a newb here. Not looking to "stir the pot" so to speak.

Do manuals have any advantages short of cost?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

ORIGINAL: flg2010

If you are going to race you need to buy a manual mustang, if your going to drive a lot, especially city, then an auto transmission makes more sense unless you love manual. Shifting an auto? Great way to end up with problems.
I'm sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous.

The fastests cars at the strip are ALWAYS the autos. Autos have and always will dominate the drag strip...

Two-step or not - you will never be able to leave as hard and consistent with a manual as you will with a trans brake...[&:]

I haven't 1/4 mile drag raced much with mustangs since my days owning a '98 cobra (sold it in '03, bought it in '99 new)and it was manual so I have no clue if you are right or not. Considering the fact that I never raced against a auto back then or drove one I have aboslutely no clue if it would be faster or not.

However, my current mustang is clearly not a performance car and it is an auto. While I have not raced it I can say that after several months of driving it avoiding redline is tougher since I do not have control of the shifting. I remember an incident tonight where I I gunned it from 60ish and wanted to see how fast I would get to 100MPH, I skirted just below redline on the tac until it downshifted. It might very well be better 1/4 mile however for hard driving I bet I would blow the engine a lot faster then if it was manual.

If I was 10 years younger I would have bought a manual GT coupe.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BAD3V

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

And yet another person that knows nothing about out autos chimes in. Give it a rest.
Well then I take it the S197 manuals are that different than the 99-04's where it DONT put strain on your Tranny? I have been told by many people when I had my old car and when I first got my 01 GT that downshifting an auto tranny puts tons of strain on your transmission. My first 2 cars were autos and I still have my 01 GT that is an auto, so please you give it a rest.

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Nope, they were all wrong.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

If you have a manual, drive it like a manual, if you have an auto, put the f*cker in D and go. If you wanna shift gears than you should have bought a manual to begin with. It puts alot of strain and stress on your tranny if you shift it manually (in an auto), especially if you're downshifting it. Even for roll races, just leave it in D and punch it. But we all know roll racing is Gay and for Ricers.
No difference if you downshift manually or let the tranny do it for you. You're an idiot!
Like I've said already in my last post, I have been told by many of people with autos and other people with Mustangs that have told me that downshifting an auto tranny puts alot of strain on your transmission. But yeah, I'm an idiot.
More strain.. maybe. If you go WOT from a roll, the tranny downshifts for you. Or you can do it yourself. Bottom line is a you're moving to a lower gear. Doesn't matter if the computer
does it, vacuum or shifter. But anytime we do anything above "normal" driving we're putting more strain on our cars. When you manual guys powershift, more strain on the clutch. Anytime
we go WOT...more strain on the motor. Hard braking intoa corner..more strain on the pad/rotors. More strain...sure, going to break...probably not. My point is there is a difference between "bad, don't do it" and "go ahead and have fun...she can take it".

Still, after reading your above comment "in blue", my idiot comment stands firm. You guys with manuals that like to post in auto topics, only to "rag" on us are idiots. All you prove is
how narrow minded youare. If someone has a legitimate ?, sure, answer if you can without any put downs. You'll never see me go into the "I keep missing 2nd gear" "how do I powershift"
"help, can't shift into 3rd" "How can I beat an auto in the 1320" and start talking smack.

Quit beatin 'round the bush Gramps, tell em what you (we) really think.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

And yet another person that knows nothing about out autos chimes in. Give it a rest.
Well then I take it the S197 manuals are that different than the 99-04's where it DONT put strain on your Tranny? I have been told by many people when I had my old car and when I first got my 01 GT that downshifting an auto tranny puts tons of strain on your transmission. My first 2 cars were autos and I still have my 01 GT that is an auto, so please you give it a rest.

Zzzzzzzzzzz. Nope, they were all wrong.
Yeah all these guys who race their Mustangs every weekend and have been working on them for 20+ years are wrong, LOL. I know what I've been told by many Mustang owners about my 01 GT and not to do it, maybe it wont break, but its not the best for it.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

If you have a manual, drive it like a manual, if you have an auto, put the f*cker in D and go. If you wanna shift gears than you should have bought a manual to begin with. It puts alot of strain and stress on your tranny if you shift it manually (in an auto), especially if you're downshifting it. Even for roll races, just leave it in D and punch it. But we all know roll racing is Gay and for Ricers.
No difference if you downshift manually or let the tranny do it for you. You're an idiot!
Like I've said already in my last post, I have been told by many of people with autos and other people with Mustangs that have told me that downshifting an auto tranny puts alot of strain on your transmission. But yeah, I'm an idiot.
More strain.. maybe. If you go WOT from a roll, the tranny downshifts for you. Or you can do it yourself. Bottom line is a you're moving to a lower gear. Doesn't matter if the computer
does it, vacuum or shifter. But anytime we do anything above "normal" driving we're putting more strain on our cars. When you manual guys powershift, more strain on the clutch. Anytime
we go WOT...more strain on the motor. Hard braking intoa corner..more strain on the pad/rotors. More strain...sure, going to break...probably not. My point is there is a difference between "bad, don't do it" and "go ahead and have fun...she can take it".

Still, after reading your above comment "in blue", my idiot comment stands firm. You guys with manuals that like to post in auto topics, only to "rag" on us are idiots. All you prove is
how narrow minded youare. If someone has a legitimate ?, sure, answer if you can without any put downs. You'll never see me go into the "I keep missing 2nd gear" "how do I powershift"
"help, can't shift into 3rd" "How can I beat an auto in the 1320" and start talking smack.
Like I said, I have an 01 GT that is an (AUTO). I dont rag on autos because I know what they're capable of on and off the track. But I do know I wouldnt ever manually downshift my auto Stang because of the stress it puts on it. Like I said, I've been told by many Mustang guys who race and work on cars for a living that this will hurt you more than help you, so I wont do it. About the comment in blue, why didnt you just get a manual if you wanna upshift and downshift? I'm not hating on you because you bought an auto, just asking a question.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Like I said, I have an 01 GT that is an (AUTO). I dont rag on autos because I know what they're capable of on and off the track. But I do know I wouldnt ever manually downshift my auto Stang because of the stress it puts on it. Like I said, I've been told by many Mustang guys who race and work on cars for a living that this will hurt you more than help you, so I wont do it. About the comment in blue, why didnt you just get a manual if you wanna upshift and downshift? I'm not hating on you because you bought an auto, just asking a question.

Because you don't have to. The auto (this auto) can do it all. You are ragging when you don't even know you are.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I do not manual shift when racing or in normal day to day driving. Buy you can and should when going up or downhill. In an auto, when going downhill...if left in drive, you might as
well be in neutral and all the stopping comes from brakes only, which may be gone by the time you get to the bottom of the hill. I'm sure you manual guys don't cruise downhill in 5th either.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

locked.....