Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not all S/C's are created equal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Not all S/C's are created equal...

Sig pic is F'ing hilarious Blueherd! Modaddict.....cant wait to see vids and numbers Thurday is not far off either! J
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Looking forward to the numbers. Good thing I am off work tomorrow, so I can watch these boards. I also have to call Adam and organize a stroker build for my car. I hope he appreciates the 2200+ mile drive I am willing to take!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

You will see a bigger number out of my KB/Whipple 3.4 kit real soon
Patience Grasshopper Patience

Can't wait to see what the ST crew throws down on Thursday. I will especially have my eye on the Redfire car[8D]
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Wow, I really got a lesson the last week on the internal workings of the twin screws.

Long story short, Upon comparison - I really liked the design of the KB lower manifold and thought it was superior to the Whipple's so on my 3.4 HO build, I used the KB lower manifold, intercooler, and crossover from my 2.6 HO kit and fabbed it to work with the whipple. This set-up was also done on John Sawyers car.

When John's car got on the dyno it made great power but it really was about 50 hp under what we think it should have been. Dragged our asses for about a week thinking of every scenario why this was happening and after adam talking at length with whipple, it turns out the issue is the whipple actually has a different flow pattern from the way the rotors turn than the KB. This difference actually took away from the whipple performance with the KB other parts.

I really thought/think the KB was superior in this area (lower manifold, intercooler, & crossover) and still think it is but I suppose a lot more goes into these kits than I suspected and there's a lot more to it considering the rotors, how the spin, and overall how it pushes psi.

The moral of the story is in the case of the whipple and KB, it seems they are not completely compatible with one another. Yes, it will work, but not to the best ability of the blower.

On my car, I was looking at losing a whopping 100 rwhp with the mix match set-up.

So I think it is safe to say that the kits are best suited for their own components and mixing and matching isn't too smart.

Well, whipple gave me a killer deal to get the lower manifold, resevior, crossover, and some other stuff so the car will be in tip top shape for Irwindale this thursday. I should actually have some baseline dyno numbers tomorrow.

The other good news is now instead of a KB 'upgrade' kit for sale, I'll have a complete 2.6 HO KB with a lot of goodies for sale so that is cool for me. (and someone else...lol)

Anyway, just thought some of you might find it interesting like I did.

CK
Thanks for the post Mark. It doesn't surprise me though as I've spoke to Dustin several times about the KB "H" thing. During Dustin's testing of a higher internal compression ratio he showed very minimal gains. So what works for KB's blowers doesn't always work on others and I guess that goes for the rest of their components as well. Not like Dustin has to worry as his blowers always outflow the competition. That's why the fastest twin screw cars are running Whipple's instead of other brand blowers.

You chose wisely young grasshopper! LOL

Speak to you soon. Jared
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

There's a guy on another forum saying the same thing about Saleen blowers...

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

. That's why the fastest twin screw cars are running Whipple's instead of other brand blowers.

Speak to you soon. Jared
Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

. That's why the fastest twin screw cars are running Whipple's instead of other brand blowers.

Speak to you soon. Jared
Anyone can say what they feel but to back it up with facts is another thing. Here's the facts.. The fastest twin screw GT500 (Evolution Performance), 03/04 Cobra (JR Lewis), Lightning (Dantes Modular Performance) all run 3.4L Whipple's. Until that changes there's really no other way to look at it.

Jared
Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Mark - not even finished and upgrading already!!!!

good luck on Thursday!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Speak to you soon. Jared
Anyone can say what they feel but to back it up with facts is another thing. Here's the facts.. The fastest twin screw GT500 (Evolution Performance), 03/04 Cobra (JR Lewis), Lightning (Dantes Modular Performance) all run 3.4L Whipple's. Until that changes there's really no other way to look at it.

Jared
Hopefully, very soon - the S197 will be in that list as well...[8D]

Another food for thought is the fact the whipple is the ONLY TS of the mustang 3 (saleen, whipple, KB) to be used in the NHRA TAD classes. In fact, it was the dominating blower of choice till the lighter PSI took over...