Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

More "Whipple" problems......*sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: More "Whipple" problems......*sigh*

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

After Justin looked at the part throttle datalogs from idle to 6000 RPM, he has a feeling my car is just different. At idle, the fuel trims were showing a 22% correction, but above that it was only a 5% correction. I think this means no vacuum leak.

He has given me a new tune with 2* timing pulled, and +3% fuel increase at WOT. Until I get a few runs with a/f, he can't do any more. I'm getting dyno tuned next tuesday anyhow, so I will pass the datalogs etc on to him so he can confirm his theory.

I'm surely not going to question Justin, but my car shows +7% at idle for long term trim and just cruising or even part throttle it's either 0 or slightly positive. When I let off the gas it is -7 or so. 22% at idle doesn't sound right.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Justin00Stang
2nd Gear Member

I've done as much as I can with what I have been given so far. A wideband provides extremely valuable data when tuning a supercharged car. Reviewing datalogs with wideband air/fuel ratio is included in the price when someone buys a blower tune from me, I highly recomend taking advantage of this part of the service. The FRPP is a one size fits all tune that is much more conservative and designed for 91 octane, it works on your average mustang, at the cost of less power.

The Gen 2 blower is not an issue.

Driving your car around easy is not going to hurt anything. Contrary to popular irrational beliefs, you can't hurt an engine by running lean if there is no load on it.

In a pinch, you can install a wideband in the rear O2 bung and get pretty decent readings.

Several people brought up using the Ford Racing tune with a relocated IAT sensor. This is not a problem. The FRPP tune pulls very little timing based on air temp, actually less then needed since it was not designed for a moved IAT. Ultimately, you can run it without a problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

O2 bung will be installed tomorrow. I gave the car a couple of WOT runs today just to see, and there was no engine knock. Seems like we are moving in the right direction.
From now till Tuesday I'm just going to be commuting, and once we hit the dyno and see whats going on with A/F ratios........we'll figure this car out.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Justin,

How much HP would you think you are giving up running a relocated IAT with the Whipple canned tune?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justin00Stang
Driving your car around easy is not going to hurt anything. Contrary to popular irrational beliefs, you can't hurt an engine by running lean if there is no load on it.
So what does everyone else here think? I have two people at work here telling me that this is a horrible idea and that all it might take is for you to step on the throttle say 1/2 instead of 1/4 and you blow your engine kaboom!!

Other opinions please?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I've already given it full throttle up to 130mph to test, and there is no engine knock. I'm also running the 3.625" pulley so that helps reduce load, and risk of severe detonation anyway.
Its on the dyno on the 15th.........everyone just wait patiently and I will be able to tell you whats going on after that.
It could be an altitude thing (3000+ feet) reducing exhaust backpressure more then expected. It could be my car.....just being a bit different. Many things........but until I get it tuned with a/f ratios......we won't really know. If it makes the right power with the right timing and A/F....then there is no problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

We ended up installing a wideband o2 as well while doing our long tube install with use on our whipple. My inital input as well would to have said you should have aquired theFRPP procal tune for use on on your vehicle.