Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Tri-Ax Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
philip_paas

Default Steeda Tri-Ax Install Questions

Installed the new Steeda Tri-Ax on my 2008 Mustang and it went very smooth. Just a few questions. First, the include washers and say to install them to lower the shifter if it feels very still. Mine movesvery well into gears 1-4, but is a little stiff going into 5 and R. Nothing that will bother me, but wondering if I should bother taking it apart or if those gears will loosen up in use. Also, on the back two bolts where the existing nuts are used to bolt the shifter to the chassis, I used two of the supplied small washers in between the nuts and the shifter for added tightness, although the directions did not recommend this. Does this sound like a good idea? Note: I used locktite on all of the other bolts. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Tri-Ax Install Questions

5 & R will always be a little harder then 1-4. Im not 100% sure why but I know with aftermarket shifters they are. I put one of the washers on the 5 & R side because ford had one put in on my stock shifter there, and it made the 5 & R about 20% easier, i never tried it with 2 to see if it made it even better because im fine with the way it shifts now and I was to lazy at the time to jack my car back up, unscrew the hard to get to bolt and throw in another washer just to see if it makes my shifting a tad more convienient, and if not, have to redo the process to remove it.

As far as 2 washers to make it tighter, I dont know, the directions called for one, and im sure steeda knows there product better then I, so I went with 1.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 AM
philip_paas

Did you put the washer between the shifter and chassis or between the bolt and shifter. I put one between each bolt and shifter. Ford had a clip installed on my driver side, however it was so flimsy that it was not worth reusing.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

I placed it between the chasis and shifter, placing it between the shifter and the bolt wouldnt effect the height or angle of the shifter
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

I have the same issue with my Tri-Ax - it is hard to get into 5th and reverse. You get used to it after a while, though, isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I know that the fix is to put a spacer on the right side of the shifter-transarm bushing, but I'm too lazy to do it.

The only thing that initially made me nervous was missing 5th from 4th and going back into 3rd while up over 80mph etc since the rev limiter doesn't come into play on downshift revups. Since it's not as stiff anymore, I'm not as worried about that.