Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A question for California v8 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 AM
tached_out
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A question for California v8 owners

Depending on who pulls you over do this. Go get a smog check before you do any mods to pass smog. It has worked for me.

I got pulled over by a cop who knew next to nothing about cars. I told her that the sound was from the Axle Backs which do not effect CA emissions. That the car still has CAT (KOOK's High Flow but they are Still Cat's) I told her that I could show her physically or I can show her a smog slip that shows that my car was recently smoged.

Her response was just explain what I have done to my car and show her the paper. After a few minutes of confusing her because she had no clue what I was even talking about when I said H-Pipe, Exhaust manifolds bla bla bla. She told me to have a nice day.

I have been pulled over by CHP once and he just wanted to give me my ticket and leave so he made no effort to even check my car.

However my friends LS1 which is bar far not street legal aprox 710rwhp at 10psi. got reffed and he sold his car to avoid other penalties with converting it back to stock or what ever CA makes you do if you fail a Ref.

Its kind of hit in miss with CA. You can build a 600rwhp street legal car not problem.

I plan on reg. my car out of state though to bi pass CA Smog. Being in the military I can reg. the car at my home reg. which I use my dad's address in WA. So that will help me out as long as I am Active Duty.

If you are prone to getting pulled over I would say stay away. You can take your stock manifolds and get the jet hot coated and clean them out so they flow better like others have before. If it is the sound you want, just buy an O/R pipe they dont require a tune and can be changed out as easy as changing you wheels.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There are several S/C kits that have CARB numbers for them, making them legal in CA. The only aftermarket turbo that is legal is the STS kit. Although I still don't have my CARB # from STS, it's "in the mail" so they say.

Depending on what county you live in in California, depends on how technical or nosey they smog inspection will be. Some counties do only the sniffer test with a gas cap check, fuel tank check. Some do full visual inspections. The visual inspections is usually what kills us. With LT's, cats and healthy tune every car should pass with flying colors. The technicalities of moving the cats and "changing" the exhaust create issues for us.

It does make me nervous not have my CARB # yet, but eventually I will.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM
pnicholson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dross

I recently bought my '08 GT and I really want to beef it up. My question for you California GT owners is, do you guys mod your cars even though just about everything is illegal her in California?

I really want to put some kooks long tubes in my ride, but don't want to go through the hassle in changing them for the smog check.

What do you guys think? Should i just say screw it and install "illegal" mods or just keep it simple?
You can build yourself PLENTY of hoursepower and still remain smog legal in California. We have 2 shop cars - put down 430 RWHP and 402 RWTQ - smog legal. LT headers will be an issue for you at some time. Like everyone else has said - its a while before you have to get a smog check so you could just deal with it then (or if you get an inspection of some sort by a non-friendly officer)

Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mykim72

legal is for girls...i think cops like mustangs...its all good
Serious. Dont be a pansy. Stock is for girls.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
#1Cop_in_BTX

I'm a cop here in TX, i don't know about cali cops, but we got bigger things to worry about besides pulling folks over for mods.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

There are plenty of shops that can hook you up with a smog...