Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 PM
bigbuttluver

Default RE: Where do I start?

Welcome to the forums!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, and be prepared to go into debt modifing your stang.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

I agree with crazystylin. Do not touch the engine at this time. Save your money and purchase a supercharger. After you spend 6K on all the other engine bolt ons, they will not even come close the the power increase of a supercharger. Then, when you decide to install a supercharger later on, you have to take off all the other stuff to run the SC. If you do not have the funds right now for a SC, maybe concentrate on the suspension.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doogyhap

I agree with crazystylin. Do not touch the engine at this time. Save your money and purchase a supercharger. After you spend 6K on all the other engine bolt ons, they will not even come close the the power increase of a supercharger. Then, when you decide to install a supercharger later on, you have to take off all the other stuff to run the SC. If you do not have the funds right now for a SC, maybe concentrate on the suspension.

Exactly, thats why you see so many intake and tuners for sale.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:51 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

ORIGINAL: blackS197

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

Don't do any mods, save $6K, then put on a whipple supercharger.

yea and call it a day.
And run 12s all day long because you can't put the power down.

Prep the suspension, then get the power.

12's is better than 13.27
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
crazyray78

Thanks for the replies. My cash flow for mods would be anywhere from 5k up to 15k per year [depends onhow muchcommision I make every month] I've been looking at a S/C for the 4.0L I have also before I bought the GT, I want toS/C the GT too] but now that the wife has been given the 4.0L one instead of that crappy 210k+ miles '99 camaro V6, she wants to start modifiying hers too. AHHHHH! I told her to save HER money for HER car and do whatever she wanted, but for you guys here thats married, I'm sure you know how well that went over.I thought about opening up another bank account and start putting some of the commision checks I get in there and save them up for a while before I do anything to the GT. I know I want to do some exhaust work, maybe some headers, anX or H pipe, maybe some boomtubes perhaps? [I like it LOUD, and there are NO state inspections in S.C] So, a few Q's 1. What would be the best mods I could do to free up some power while I save up for the S/C?and 2.Do I need to do any internal mods to the engine to support the S/C additional HP output? The engine has 50k miles on it, so I wouldn't want to blow anything up since it will be a street driven car only for a while and not going to the track anytime in the forseeable future. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

as long as you stay sub 500rwhp you should be safe on your stock engine internals (most people say 450rwhp if you really need your car). Long Tube Headers+Off Road H + Boomtubes would be crazy... Corsa's are recommended.. should get you a nice 20ish rwhp gain and sound brutal.. cost before install would likely before around 1500 install cost... maybe 400-600? so thats a pricy mod but also helps with your s/c. CAI/Tune would be good.. as your car is now its probably getting bad heatsoak from no heat dam around the intake you'll notice a big difference with quality intake like C&L, JLT, Steeda (a couple others) plus the tune is huge. Expect to pick up 20hp with that as well.. and at a cost of only $450-600 the only problem is they typically don't work with a s/c. I was told that the Steeda I bought works with a Saleen S/C but I think I need a different inlet tube. If you do plan on s/c then I would recommend skipping Under Drive Pulleys. New Suspension is also a good thing to consider before going to crazy.. Lower Control Arms, BMR Panhard bar.. Gears. 4.10s for a manual. 1 Piece alluminium driveshaft another good one that will still be beneficial with a s/c. New/Better Clutch/Flywheel can usually wait till after you s/c but you could do it first if yours is already getting worn.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
boss hoss
2nd Gear Member

YOooooo... I'm pretty much a RoOk too...but i can just relay my story and then my opinions on my particular situation. First...WELCOME...this whole stang society is enthralling (?spelling?). Good Luck containing yourself...I started with a CAI(c&L),& frpp4.10's...went to the track..13.8@ 101 or 102....wheel hop was OUT OF CONTROL....just made me sick to my stomach, didn't know which was gonna give first my spleen[:'(], or my car[]!! Next mod was steeda chromoly lower control arms, steeda ultralite springs,and boomtubes..went to track again..13.5@104.on the 13.5 run 60' was 1.96...these were my first 2 times at the track and I've heard that on stock tires in orlando speedworld thats a good 60'....i have no clue yes or no.. i would have liked to try the 4.10's seperate from the CAI and tune..guess, rookie mistake!..overall, would've tried the 4.10's first without cai...then again...what in the H-E-double toothpicks do i know(hahaha), other than I LOVE MY F'n Stang...HOLLA!!!! damnit...to late togo for a ride....arghhhh...