Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Battery disconnect with a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery disconnect with a tune?

OK, put on your stupidity warding helmets for your own safety. If I have my battery disconnected long enough to hear the beep on reconnect, what happens to my Bama tune?

I've used this method in the past to temporarily clear CELs but was just reading another thread and questioned what the implications would be now...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
OK, put on your stupidity warding helmets for your own safety. If I have my battery disconnected long enough to hear the beep on reconnect, what happens to my Bama tune?

I've used this method in the past to temporarily clear CELs but was just reading another thread and questioned what the implications would be now...
The ECM doesn't lose programming, it just loses all of the minor adjustments ("learn") features of your driving characteristics.

I've kept tunes in my cars (remember, they have to tune/program it when they build it) with the battery out during the winter and on trickle charger.
Just pop it back in come spring time and fire it up...it might take a few good "leg stretching" sessions for the car to feel right, but you're not going to hurt anything.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Steel Pony is correct. Disconnecting the battery does NOT affect the tune. It will, however, erase those parameters stored by the Adaptive Learning feature, which can be a good thing. Over time, Adaptive Learning may cause performance to drop for the sake of better economy.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Is there a fuse you can pull to disconnect the computer without pulling the battery? I want to erase the adaptive learning while keeping my radio settings.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Steel Pony is correct. Disconnecting the battery does NOT affect the tune. It will, however, erase those parameters stored by the Adaptive Learning feature, which can be a good thing. Over time, Adaptive Learning may cause performance to drop for the sake of better economy.
Is that more or less what the throttle reset procedure does?

I remember reading a pretty entertaining debate on whether or not this still happens on aftermarket tunes between a Bama rep and a member on here.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Is that more or less what the throttle reset procedure does?

I remember reading a pretty entertaining debate on whether or not this still happens on aftermarket tunes between a Bama rep and a member on here.
No.
There is a whole lot more in the adaptive portion than what happens when you push the right pedal. But you may nor be able to notice it on a lightly modded motor.

I know on mine that I am hesitant to disconnect power or reflash a tune, the most noticeable part for me is the transition from driving to idle when the clutch is in and brakes are applied, for the first several drive cycles after a power reset or tune flash, the car will die at that point because it hasn't yet learned how much gas and air is needed during that transition... which can be really annoying dying at every stop sign or even during a (slow) downshift like while in traffic on a freeway. But once it learns it everything just works.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

These guys have it down to the T. Disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time will simply wipe your KAM memory or Keep Alive Memory, NOT your Bama tune. KAM memory is made up of small adjustments made by the PCM, based off of several input sensors. Since the weather is always changing and land has different altitudes, the PCM will make small changes to accommodate for the current air density and other driving conditions.

When the KAM memory is wiped, it takes a little driving to build a sufficient amount back up. This is not a problem, it just takes a little time.

Hope this helps clear some of this up for you!

Shane
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

It did. Thanks for the replies. I just wanted a little clarification and knew exactly where to come with my questions.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:21 PM
TheeFury

Default 2013 Ford Mustang

Hey everyone so I have some questions any my car has a fair amount of stuff done to it what all I am unsure I know it has a super charger vortex v3 .. after Market injectors and some other stuff as well and I am running a 93 Oct tune atm ... But I have to take the car for emissions I don't think it will pass emissions is there anything I can do other then put a cadillac converter on my car to get it to pass emissions???? ... cause I got one pipe that runs str8 back it don't have a Cadillac converter on it ... if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it ...I don't know how this messaging thing works buy I think this is linked to my fb soo you could message me if you know ...Thank for your help ...

Thats the underneath..

that's the super charger and engine

and that's my baby ... But thank you to anyone that can help...
Old 04-03-2023, 06:27 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheeFury
But I have to take the car for emissions I don't think it will pass emissions is there anything I can do other then put a cadillac converter on my car to get it to pass emissions???? ... cause I got one pipe that runs str8 back it don't have a Cadillac converter on it ... if anyone has any idea I'd appreciate it ...I don't know how this messaging thing works buy I think this is linked to my fb soo you could message me if you know .Thank for your help ...
Since your car is straight piped, it'll definitely fail emissions unless you reinstall a pair of CATALYTIC converters. I don't think you'd want converters from a Cadillac though.