Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions on larger brakes and 18's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions on larger brakes and 18's

I have on order right now some Gram Lights 57Maximum. 18x8.5 frt and 18x9.5 rear. Specs are:Front Offset: 45mm, Backspacing: 6.45", Weight: 21.0lbs. Rear Offset: 38mm, Backspacing: 6.69", Weight: 22.5lbs. I'm going to be running a 255/45 front tire and a 285/40 rear. In about 1-2 months i am going to be lowering her on some Eibach Multi-Pro R-2 coilovers. Next im off to the brake department, which is where my questions arise. I would like to fit a 14" kit in there but am not sure if it will clear at all. Can anybody help me out on what i can clear with these rims? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The 14" BBK will not have a problem fitting inside the 18" rim but whether or not the caliper will rub the spokes is another question. Just looking at the wheels you have I'm guessing you will have no issues but to be sure you need to do some research on the calipers you are interested in. Most brake manufactures publish "templates" you can download and print out as well as the caliper and rotor specs.

Thats going to be a nice setup...is this for track use?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the caliper clearance is my main concern. I guess its time to start emailing some of these folks. I realy dont want to run wheel spacers, because if i do i would have rather got a wider rim.
Im stationed in germany right now and do a lot of agressive street drivind and high speed autobahn driving. Plus nuerinburg is only a hour and some change away. I still want to hit up some drags when i get the chance but its still cold as stuff out here.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

If you take a look at Wilwood brakes, they are really good about publishing schematics showing the dimensions of all the parts. So once you get the Wheels, you will be able to measure and compare.

FWIW, I have the 5Zigen FN01R rims, they have a spoke design very similar in look to those Gram Lights, they have tons of room for big, wide calipers.

You for sure have to get on the Nueringburg before you leave, man that would be fun!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
ImpulseCars
Banned

My shop is the only retailer that sells Wilwood Big Brake Kits for 05+ Mustangs Front/Rear. We worked with Wilwood in the design and development of the kit. Its a 14" kit, 6-piston front, it is the w6A caliper which has some very impressive new features. Ill message you and try to find out if your wheel dimension are compatible with our kit.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I have the Wilwood Big brakes and I think they allow more wheel types than most kits. I have 18 inch Shelby Razors and they clear with plenty of room but with my summertime 18 inch ZE Boost wheels I have plenty of clearance for the spooks but I have to use the zero clearance valve stems because of the way the wheels are made. The only way to really know if your wheels will clear is to use a wheel template from the brake manufacturer.

Earl
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I went through the same thing. I called around and was asking folks what would fit for 18" rims with my BAER 14". Most of them had absolutely no clue until I went to Steeda. They told me that the Ultra Lites and some of the others they sell would fit so I bought from them and even printed out the template from BAER and was still questioning if it would work. Thankfully they knew what they were talking about, but there is like almost no clearance between the caliper and the inside of the rim. The BAER brake's I think are probably closer to the inside of the rim than a Brembo etc. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Heres a pic it is very very close.
Attached Thumbnails Questions on larger brakes and 18's-pc140023.jpg