Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous on the S197

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

lots of people offer hard wired bottle warmers. i'd go with one and do it along with the nitrous install. only reason i didn't go that route was i'm tired of running so many wires haha
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

be carefull with remote bottle opener's.

in my opinion they are overpriced and dont work great most the time from what i hear.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

the zex plug in doesn't work that great either. i think it works fine for keeping the bottle temp where it's at but is no good for actually heating the bottle. couple weeks ago at the track i had to warm my bottle up in hot water before heading out to the track and just plugged the bottle warmer in to keep it at that pressure cause it would have taken me hours to get my pressure up from 600 to where i wanted it.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
I saw that ZEX bottle warmer, but I worry about using my AC plug for powering it. Does anyone offer a hard wired bottle warmer? Whats up with the blow out tube, is that mandatory?

Mikey that video with sound sent me from 6 to midnight!!!!
Yes, check out Nitrous Express and NOS. The Nitrous Express will likely be better quality. I had to re-solder some of the leads on my NOS heater because they were a bit fragile, no big deal for me, but it makes wish they were more rugged from the factory.

Read the instructions first, any good company will have them online. You don't want a bottle warmer that hooks directly to the battery with just a switch to turn it off and on. Sure it's easy to install, but the one time you leave your 20 amp heater on and forget to turn it off, your battery could wind up dead.

The best bottle heaters will include a lead to a switched 12 volt keyed power source. That's so they cut off when the key is off, whether or not you leave the switch on. If you're not sure about the bottle heater you're looking at, then you should call or e-mail the manufacturer and ask.

I do NOT recommend a bottle heater that is wired to an external pressure switch (NX makes a model like that). If you leave the heater on and forget to open the bottle, then the heater will heat the bottle until the tank ruptures. That kind of system is for extremely careful use in a track only situation if you ask me. Murphy's law says it's not a good idea.

A simple thermostat on the bottle works quite well and doesn't have the above mentioned safety concern.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 03-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
be carefull with remote bottle opener's.

in my opinion they are overpriced and dont work great most the time from what i hear.
I have a NX express remote bottle opener that is purple to match my Zex kit and it works fine everytime. You just have to make sure you mount it on the bottle correctly. Wouldn't have a N20 kit without it. It's nice being able to open it from the drivers seat...perfect for purging on those pesky imports at stop lights.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I read about a new edge where he'd floor-mounted the bottle behind the driver's seat and could open it by hand. Thoughts?

I realize bottle pressure is important, but why don't they include a bottle in the pre-packaged kits? Will the N20 be rendered ineffective without proper pressure, or will it just provide less power?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
I read about a new edge where he'd floor-mounted the bottle behind the driver's seat and could open it by hand. Thoughts?

I realize bottle pressure is important, but why don't they include a bottle in the pre-packaged kits? Will the N20 be rendered ineffective without proper pressure, or will it just provide less power?
I've seen a video of a '94 GT with that setup on Youtube. He mounted it on a board behind the passenger seat.

My thoughts?

No practical way to mount a blow down or room for that matter. Running at a track would be out. If he ever rolled the car or got in an accident, then the 22 lbs nitrous bottle (10 lbs bottle carries 10 lbs of nitrous, but weighs 22 lbs when full) would become a projectile.

If you forget to cover it up, then you're just asking for someone to break into your car and steal your bottle. They're something like $200. If you get stopped by a cop, there's a chance he'll probably see it. That's not good in a lot of states.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:47 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

/\+1

idk, i run nitrous, but not all the time, if im going to run someone, its normally controled, and i have time to warm up my bottle and open the bottle.

if im out for a race, or a few quick burst's ill open the bottle and drive around, if i dont find anything ill pull over, close the bottle, and get on it to clear the line's/silinoid's.

i just dont see a bottle opener being useful other then spraying ALL THE TIME, and racing every and anything you see on the street.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Good point 302army187.

I figured if I ran the n2o for a few months and got tired of jumping out to crank the bottle, I'd add a bottle opener during the second round of the install when I do the fine tuning on the juice. I'm sure the during the first few months after the install is when I'll use it the most, due to the novelty of a new mod alone. But after I adjust to having an extra 75hp on tap, I'll probably only hit the bottle once or twice a month.