Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple & Steeda UDPs / GT500 pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Default Whipple & Steeda UDPs / GT500 pumps

My car had steeda UDPs installed when I bought the car, and now I have a FRPP whipple sitting in a box ready to go. The whipple comes with a 3.375 pulley good for 10-11 psi. Frankly, that level of boost on a stock engine seems foolish to me, it will go sooner or later.

I'm aware than the smaller diameter crank pulley will decrease boost, and that is exactly what I want. Keeping the UDPs will save me the labour of swapping and the expense of a new pulley.

Getting to the question, other than decreasing boost, are there other negative effects from continuing to run the UDPs?

Will I need a different belt (I have a 124.7)?
Do you know the approximate boost reduction with such a scenario?
Anybody running this setup?
Second question.......

I'm going to have to delay the supercharger installation for a couple months. Can I install the GT500 pumps in advance of the supercharger to get a leg up on the installation process or will this cause problems?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i see your dilema, on one hand you probably
would prefer to install the whipple with the
vehicle in the correct state, but on the other
it would be costly to remove the UDP kit and
you're not even sure it would have any benefit
in the end.

i would just say go with your gut instincts.

it'll probably run just fine, you'll probably need the next
smaller belt and yes you could install the pump kit ahead of time.
not sure how much psi will be reduced by the UDP,
maybe 1 - 1.5

good luck and follow up when you finally do get to
install the whipple.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I thought the Whipple and the Steeda UDP's were not compatible (any UDP's) and if Mark (chevykiller) was around he could answer that for sure. I swear I read something like that somewhere and thought it was in one of Marks threads.

anyone else?......and I have been running 11 psi now for almost 2 yrs and no issues....timing adv is max of 19 degrees. I have the GT500 pumps and 60# injectors. You can install the pumps anytime you want...it will only help.

Reading a thread the other day on a S/C'd S197 that gained quite a of HP after the GT500 pumps proving that maxing out the stock pump is like living on borrowed time (similar to high boost applications on a non- forged motor)

Last edited by mygt500; 07-24-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
I thought the Whipple and the Steeda UDP's were not compatible (any UDP's) and if Mark (chevykiller) was around he could answer that for sure. I swear I read something like that somewhere and thought it was in one of Marks threads.

anyone else?......and I have been running 11 psi now for almost 2 yrs and no issues....timing adv is max of 19 degrees. I have the GT500 pumps and 60# injectors. You can install the pumps anytime you want...it will only help.

Reading a thread the other day on a S/C'd S197 that gained quite a of HP after the GT500 pumps proving that maxing out the stock pump is like living on borrowed time (similar to high boost applications on a non- forged motor)

10 to 11 ibs is not foolish. Mygt500, Hammeron, many others and I have been running this psi for years now with no problems..... From what I have experienced and what I have seen throughout the years, you will be fine with 10-11.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

THis is the link I have found on whipple pulleys: http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...pulley-p-15041

By the way, it shows the smaller the pulley the higher the boost. I have the 3.25 for 11 PSI. I am not worried about the 11PSI boost. I am not racing the car and I have only put on it on the dyno once, and won't do it again. I am actually a bit more concerned about the belt. I am starting to see rubber dust inside the pulley, which indicates some slippage. I don't hear it yet, so it must be moderate, but there is only so much rubber to give before the belt snapps. Any advice on a replacement belt?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by odel
THis is the link I have found on whipple pulleys: http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...pulley-p-15041

By the way, it shows the smaller the pulley the higher the boost. I have the 3.25 for 11 PSI. I am not worried about the 11PSI boost. I am not racing the car and I have only put on it on the dyno once, and won't do it again. I am actually a bit more concerned about the belt. I am starting to see rubber dust inside the pulley, which indicates some slippage. I don't hear it yet, so it must be moderate, but there is only so much rubber to give before the belt snapps. Any advice on a replacement belt?
Contact whipple direct and everyone recommends the gates belts. Lethal is a huge dist for whipple and Jared from lethal can help. Hammeron can help as well or moose can too.

if you go to an 8 rib belt/pulley system that will solve the belt slip or if you have mad cash you can get the Steeda Whipple belt drive (1200 bucks) and you will have no slip and a 10 rib setup. Steeda is sponsor on this forum too.
http://www.steeda.com/videos/product...belt-drive.php

Check your tensioner and make sure its not bent (even the slightest bend can cause belt failure over time)

So sometimes getting a new tensioner will help too.

this link is from one of Hammeron's posts
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5854362-post2.html

part of this thread
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...1247-belt.html

found this on another forum

Its a 6 rib 124.75" belt. You can run what brand you like. I prefer Gates. Gates sizes are for example a K061247 is a KO= Gates regular belt 06= ribs and 124+inches of length and 7= fractions of inches. A K121102 is a 12 rib 110.25" belt.
One said gates is as good as they get and the gatorbacks suck and slip a little so they are not noisy and they dust like crazy....so gates it is

found a online store that sells them
http://www.bluecollarperformance.com/k061247.html

last but not the least......joe heck racing can and will order them for you (great company as I got a great deal on the chrome valve covers from them)
Ok. I have found one local source of these belts. Joe Heck Racing can and has ordered them. As of today he still may have a few in stock. (one is on its way to me)

They are about half the price that whipple is asking and most certainly less shipping. Joe Heck price is $49.95 plus shipping.

I am also investigating another source that may be even cheaper and when I find out if what they are selling is what we need for the whipple blowers I will post up.
NAPA can help and O'reileys can too.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

Joe Heck racing is the company I picked to install the Whipple HO and the FRPP handling kit. They indeed have good prices and their mechanic is one experienced and detailed oriented guy!. Everything worked perfectly from day one. I'll check with them on the pulley/belt. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

My car peaks at 10.9psi and has been running fine for over a year. These blocks are much more stout than they get credit for. I'd swith the pullies back to stock or spring for a custom tune. Otherwise, I'd imagine that you'd be running ridiculously rich as the whipple tune is already fairly conservative.