Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problems with the car I'm buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Have to agree with most of the others......pass on this one. There are lots of better Mustangs out there that may have far fewer surprises than this one might. If you do buy it, just remember that selling it down the road will be just as big of a problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cavediver
If you do buy it, just remember that selling it down the road will be just as big of a problem.
+1 million FTW.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
WUWU20

run fast and far.....
Old 08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Rebuilt title?????

I wonder how many threads there are on this subject????

It sounds like you're about to break the first rule of used car buying,,,DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH A USED CAR!!!!!!

Leave it alone.The title has "rebuilt" on it for a reason and that reason isn't because the owner wanted it that way!
There's all kinds of things that can/will go wrong later.Just because the owner "has money" don't mean he's willing to spend it on a car he's going to get rid of.

Last edited by Chopper; 08-27-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Goodman_95 GT
i also saw a superchips box in the back seat.
That is very good reason to run as far away from this way overpriced salvaged mustang.
Unless you just like troubles and figuring them out and fixing them over and over and over.

Do not buy, someone has superchipped it and dropped the hammer on it,
wrecked it, owes more that its worth, dumped maybe $500 into it
and claims the remaining damage is from mommy in a golf cart and
he needs to recouope the finance companies $$ and he is unloading
it onto you. You all ready see problems and thats strike #2 AND #3
in my book. Drop it like its hot.

Last edited by 157dB; 08-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i have never bought a used car persoanlly, but if i ever did i'd buy one from a dealer. i think most dealerships give some sort of warranty. then considering it's got a salvaged title, i wouldn't do it. i'd use it maybe as a track car but that's all. i think 10,500 is still high too for a salvaged title.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 PM
edawgdesigns.com
Former Sponsor

I think you mean Salvage Title to be exact, there's nothing wrong it and there's some downright sweet deals out there, but if you can find just as sweet as deal as the salvage then obviously you'd take that.

Honestly man, salvage title cars don't have that much of a stigma. I bought one many years ago and the car drove absolutely fine, if I didn't know it was as a salvage title I wouldn't have been able to figure otherwise.

Even when you decide to sell it one day you won't have a problem because someone out there will be looking for a great deal.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Yeah, ours has a salvage, and now rebuilt title - but we bought it through our dealership at an auction. Took 5k in parts alone, and we're just now come to the end in sight so far as getting her frame/alignment right. She tracks good now, and we've almost got her aligned right, frame straightened, but the moral of the story is, the damage didn't LOOK bad in the photos (It was a salvage pool remote/internet auction, which we rarely ever do - we usualy go in person) annnnnddd then we had my brother (body shop owner, frame expert give us the autopsy reports. I'm no CSI agent, but she looks like she was 'ramped' like the General Lee into a ditch. Very similar to the damage you describe here.

YIKES! There was a good reason to 'total' that car!

Here's where I'm going with this. From the reverse side of a deal like this:

Our 06 is still here with me because after we realized the full extent of the damage, we knew we'd never, ever, be able to sell it for what we'd have in it, if at all, with a rebuilt title. It's worked out well for ME, despite the frustrations and headaches, but were we not a dealership, and if I didn't have brother who owns a great body shop and friends that can help do the labor, and ourselves able to do the labor, I'd have never, never, never never. Never. touched it. In fact, because I realized we'd be stuck with it, I sold my Jaguar and just 'bought' it for cost from my husband.

Of course, for me, it has its upside.

It ain't like I'm going to void any warranties playing with it! The only limitation I have is money. But don't we all? LOL