Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Honest Tune Assessments

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
NOTSTOCK

Originally Posted by fast64ranchero
Just don't expect too much from a tune and intake, if you do as I did and dyno before and after, you'll get the true numbers, I'm using the stock Ford tune again because I like it best! easier to drive then the 91 and 93 race tune I have, and proved faster on the track..... atleast on my 2010gt
What brand intake and tune did you use?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Take a look here Review of Brenspeed Tune on 2010 GT
Old 01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
FastDew
your correct in IMO although Brenspeed tunes do make more power then stock.
I'm not going to give who my tune is from, I'm still working with them to get a great "stock" tune, and by no means am I bashing anyones tunes, the butt dyno feels good, the chassic dyno and the drags showed different, I had the quickest 1/4 times using the stock tune, (and I made 24 runs in one day trying different tunes) expect to gain 10-15hp to the wheels with a good tune the best intake, expect the car to feel faster, as the throttle is fly by wire and tunes take the delay out, just don't expect it gain 25WHP and if it does,,, please let me know your combo so I can try it out!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Please be sure that I am not bashing Brenspeed on the tune. I am just giving my butt dyno and opinion of street driving. I think it did some good and some bad. However, overall I like the factory Ford tune much better, so that is what I am running.

On the 05-09's there may be significant gains, I don't know first hand, but this is what everone says. On the 2010, at least my 2010, I don't think it is worth the money and the factory tune feels much better on the street.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

fastdew, I don't know if it's the fact that you have a Cali car, or the 91 tune, or Brenspeed or what but I can not stand to drive my car with the stock tune after using the Tillman or bama tune.

I do agree with you that more of the difference is in part-throttle, but I don't notice any less power at WOT, in fact, it feels considerably stronger but this is of course just with a butt dyno. :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

When I purchased my SCT tuner from American Muscle, I asked for an 87 octane "economy" tune and a 91 octane "performance" tune; the only modification to the car at the time was a K & N drop in air filter. I never tried the 87 tune but, the 91 tune was a big improvement over the stock tune throughout the entire RPM range, especially off idle and above 2500 RPM, much better throttle response. I then ordered a 91 "performance" tune from Brenspeed, loaded it up and took the car for a drive. There was a significant improvement over the American Muscle tune throughout the entire RPM range and the car really pulled hard from 2500 RPM to redline. My next tune was the Tillman 91 "all out", also a very good tune, exhibiting similar characteristics as the Brenspeed tune but, not quite as strong according to my butt dyno. My current tune is really the winner but, one would expect that having an M90 sitting atop the engine.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
NOTSTOCK

Originally Posted by bingo2
When I purchased my SCT tuner from American Muscle, I asked for an 87 octane "economy" tune and a 91 octane "performance" tune; the only modification to the car at the time was a K & N drop in air filter. I never tried the 87 tune but, the 91 tune was a big improvement over the stock tune throughout the entire RPM range, especially off idle and above 2500 RPM, much better throttle response. I then ordered a 91 "performance" tune from Brenspeed, loaded it up and took the car for a drive. There was a significant improvement over the American Muscle tune throughout the entire RPM range and the car really pulled hard from 2500 RPM to redline. My next tune was the Tillman 91 "all out", also a very good tune, exhibiting similar characteristics as the Brenspeed tune but, not quite as strong according to my butt dyno. My current tune is really the winner but, one would expect that having an M90 sitting atop the engine.
This is the kind of response I was looking for! Awesome stuff! There is no right answer, just good points of view. Well, just to update. I called Brenspeed this afternoon to order my CAI Intake and tune. I went with the JLT carbon fiber and SCTX3 for $708 delivered. They said it would take 5-7 business days to ship and I'm fine with that. The order taker asked for my specs, and also suggested the JLT If I was ever going to do anymore mods. He said it has a higher flow volume. I may not do much more to the engine, but I like the way it looks. As far as the tune goes, he said to expect 20-25 more HP at the wheels with my set-up. I asked about the power response and he also said it should be linear, and much more responsive. I'm going to run the 93 octane tune first then I'll give a report. Thanks to everyone for the input. This has been a good thread to pass along info. P.S. They also said they like to recommend and run their cars with 3.73s to give a better response and feel for everyday driving. An easy mod for some better performance. Just FYI