Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech V3 H.O.s chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I'd like this info too, lol. You know, as I sit here thinking about it... if I were to buy an HO kit from scratch, I probably wouldn't buy this kit personally. The main reason I chose it was the power level and the bang for the buck, which the standard kit is great for. If I were buying an HO outright, I think I'd get the Saleen...
thats strange to read.. considering your original thread on the V3 non-intercooled inspired me to get one myself lol.

There should be an option for a standard air to air intercooler with either kits. They have them as seperate kits but they cost about as much as the charge cooler. I considered fabricating one but decided against it.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=highline;6822630]Did/do you have a KB BAP? What did you set it at? How did your throttle body go out? Lastly, the stealership covered these with a s/c???

Highline:
Yes, I do have a KenneBell BAP, it is set at 40, which is what Brenspeed set it at. The TB went out, which I believe there was a recall on, from what I remember, i believe it had to do with the TPS, but the whole TB had to be replaced. The stealership covered both of these under my extended warranty, but after the fuel pump went out, they started getting pissy and passing the buck to Brenspeed and what not. Bottom line, they ended up fixing it, but I did find another dealership to go to that will work on an aftermarket S/C'ed car.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I have my mind set on the Vortech V3 H.O. kit, but I couldn't help but weigh my optional mods list to compare. Now, I know that the list is nowhere near as close to the hp numbers the blower kit will put out but...

how well would the following mods list perform.

current mods list;
4.10s
C&L Racer CAI
JBA high heat shorties
dual 3in cut outs
Bama race tune

--------
Mods to add;

Percision Industries 3k high stall torque converter
one peice lightweight aluminum driveshaft (suggestions??)
steeda ecomomy delete plates
comp cams stage 2 NSR

Stock tires on 18s, GT/CS rims

My goal is to hit mid 12s this summer. I know the blower will kill it both in terms of power and in the 1/4 but I believe I could still hit some decent times...
Old 02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
thats strange to read.. considering your original thread on the V3 non-intercooled inspired me to get one myself lol.

There should be an option for a standard air to air intercooler with either kits. They have them as seperate kits but they cost about as much as the charge cooler. I considered fabricating one but decided against it.
Well, back when I bought the kit, I was 99% sure I'd never upgrade it. I was trying to find a kit that would land around 400rwhp staying comfortably away from the 450rwhp generally accepted "limit". Blowing an engine would just be no fun at all financially. If I had been buying an HO kit at the time, I would have spent the extra few hundred on the Saleen probably.

At this point, I have no plans to upgrade mine. If I ever do, it'll probably be with the air/air upgrade (from the Paxton kit). The install doesn't seem too bad, so I'd probably try and do it myself. I really could care less about more power, I'd want the upgrade mainly to combat the heat in Texas. But the thing is, when its hot here, its hot as hell, and even with that IC under there, I'm still going to be grannying the thing. 100 degrees is 100 degrees.

The only regret I have with this car, is modifying it at all. My money would have been better spent on a GT500. Especially now where you can find nice used ones in the 30s. If you look at the difference in payment, then do the math on the cost of paying for that car month to month vs dropping 8k all at once, the GT500 starts to get attractive.

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

I've had zero issues with mine.

Those are some nice numbers on that Paxton HO! I'd be paranoid as hell to put out nearly 500rwhp though. As it stands now I cringe a bit at WOT with only 400rwhp, lol.
Trust me, I get paranoid too lolol Im still on stock internals.... but that power output is at 6500rpms. I rarely go that high, even when Im playing around on the weekends I shift at 5500 or so.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah same here man, mine was dynoed to 5800rpm and hit 397rwhp, so its probably about 415 at 6500rpm. I shift at 5500 usually.

Your car looks awesome man, I dig the nice clean white look. Its like the opposite of my car, lol.

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalmLikeaBomb
Trust me, I get paranoid too lolol Im still on stock internals.... but that power output is at 6500rpms. I rarely go that high, even when Im playing around on the weekends I shift at 5500 or so.

.. so much for that idea. I have an auto shifting at 6k rpm.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

At this point, I have no plans to upgrade mine. If I ever do, it'll probably be with the air/air upgrade (from the Paxton kit). The install doesn't seem too bad, so I'd probably try and do it myself. I really could care less about more power, I'd want the upgrade mainly to combat the heat in Texas. But the thing is, when its hot here, its hot as hell, and even with that IC under there, I'm still going to be grannying the thing. 100 degrees is 100 degrees.
I don't like how the left side elbow off the intercooler hangs so low to the ground on the air to air one. Both the vortechs and paxtons pipings hang very low on the left side.

The charge cooler is actually very compact looking and sits right in front of the pulley system.. I thought it looks pretty cool.