Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Short Throw: The Guts vs The Full Monty

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

And also...

Originally Posted by howarmat
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php

that should answer all your questions
Actually, it answered alot.

Originally Posted by sycd
I have the FRPP/Hurst shifter on my GT. The chrome Hurst stick and white ball were cool for a while, but they were definitely not ergonomic and the look didn't flow with the rest of the interior.

So I kept the shifter, but switched the chrome stick and white ball to a Hurst adapter that allows me to use the Hurst/FRPP shifter but keep the stock shifter ****, which sits at the same height as stock.

With that setup, the shifts are as still short, the **** looks like it belongs there, but it is also more ergonomic. The shifts are not harder. To the contrary, since I can hold the shifter in a better position, I can shift more smoothly, and therefore slightly faster, than with the white ball.

I'm very happy with this setup.
Based on you two, and the article on the Hurst shifter, maybe the longer shift arm won't be as stupid looking as I imagined it to be, though I still like the look of stock stick better.

So the Roush shifter I've been looking at have the option of either. So I'm going to start with just the lower assembly/stock shifter and see how that feels (this is my DD, so I'll know pretty quickly if this setup sucks). If need be, at least I've seen that the extended shift arm isn't completely obtrusive. I was just concerned that it's up so high that my hand would lose feeling in it always being suspended up that high.

Maybe it's not... (?)
Feel free to throw in any other thoughts.

Either way, thanks guys. You all rock.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

You could always modify the stick of the short throw to take the stock shift boot and ball. With the boot covering everything, it wouldn't even have to be all that pretty! Get real crazy and you can cut down the stick while you're at it. If you screw it up, just buy another stick
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

The MGW shifter here looks "high quality" and allows you to adjust the throw and height. It appears to allow you to keep the stock ball/boot, though I'm not 100% on that . . .

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_2005-2009.shtml