Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Replacing Summer-only Brembo package tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Replacing Summer-only Brembo package tires

My 5.0 Brembo package baby should arrive next week!

One thing ive been thinking about though... I'm pretty sure by the end of November i'll regret having "summer only" tires... From what ive read, even if it doesn't snow, the summer-only rubber will literally get hard as plastic when the temp drops below 30 F.

I don't plan on driving in the snow.. but it will get around 10-15 F here in Saint Louis come February.... and this is my daily driver with 20 miles highway to work.

Since there aren't many options regarding replacement wheels for the winter, I was going to have the Pirelli's replaced with an all season tire.. maybe swapping them back in the summer.

It came down to a few tires.. all of them expensive.. but i'd rather spend the money now than find myself sledding down a dry highway or pop a curb this winter.

This is what I was thinking...Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus...anyone have experience with these tires? Any recommendations? The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires were my other option.

"The [Michelin] Pilot Sport A/S Plus is the Ultra High Performance All-Season tire member of Michelin's Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires that represents the evolution of the Pilot Sport A/S. Developed for the drivers of high-end sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus is designed to combine enhanced all-weather performance, wet grip and treadwear along with year-round traction, including in light snow."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=54YR9PSAS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rembo%20Brakes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Out of all the all season choices I'ld get the Pirelli P6, soft compound, good wet weather traction and being they'll be on only for few months at a time no need to shell out the big bucks for the Michellin or Bridgestone.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into those.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I run summer tires year round here in Texas. In the colder months it gets down to sub freezing in the 20ish or so range on occasion and typically hovers in the 30-40 range in full winter with no snow. The tires lose grip, but they were never any worse than the stock hard as a rock tires.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I run summer tires year round here in Texas. In the colder months it gets down to sub freezing in the 20ish or so range on occasion and typically hovers in the 30-40 range in full winter with no snow. The tires lose grip, but they were never any worse than the stock hard as a rock tires.
That's good to know. I'm used to slipping and sliding with the stock tires, and if it's not too much worse than that, I can handle it. I'll probably wait until late Dec and see how it goes. If I can avoid spending $1000 on tires the first year..I will