Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Urgent: Do our 05-09 GT'shave Pilot Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Urgent: Do our 05-09 GT'shave Pilot Bearings?

I am having problems with my newly installed clutch and flywheel.
Strange noise.

I am going to have the slave cylinder replaced.
But I just noticed on the instructions for my clutch (SPEC 2+) it says
you have to replace the pilot bearing.
(American Muscle instructions for SPEC install)

Right next to the things included int he kit it says (not included in 05+Mustangs)

Does that mean we do not have pilot bearings or does that mean that the SPEC clutches for the 05-09 Mustang GT's
do not require one? Or does it mean they just did not include it in the kit to be difficult and we
have to buy our own and replace it?
Here is the link for the instructions....

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...ch-install.pdf

One more thing... they were replacing my tranny when they put in the new clutch and flywheel.
If they replaced my whole tranny would that mean I had a new pilot bearing anyways so I would not need
to replace it?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-11-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Pilot bearings are too cheap to not replace them when the trans. is out.
They can go bad sure, but it's usually on reinstall when the clutch alignment is not dead on.
And yes, you need them.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Well remember I had my entire tranny replaced with a new one.
Does a pilot bearing come with a new tranny?

Or does it come with clutches?

Do people usually replace them when they replace a clutch?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-11-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Comes with the clutch but not always.
It never comes with the tranny though, unless you have a custom input shaft.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I guess they used my old pilot from my old clutch then when they put the new tranny and clutch in probably.

I am getting my slave cylinder replaced so should I get a new pilot bearing as well?

I am trying to solve the damn horrible scrape/honking noise since I put in this SPEC 2+ and SPEC steel flywheel.
Started about at 400mi after install and now I am at 550 and it seems to only be getting worse.
Chandler at Brenspeed said it was the slave cylinder but others have said it is the organic/metallic mix that SPEC uses so I am shat out of luck.

I am debating on replacing the clutch so that if the new slave cyl. does not fix the issue... I don't have to pay for the tranny to get opened up again.
I was considering a Mcleod because I haven't heard anything bad about them yet but they are so damn expensive.
Then I heard about Exedy and that they make OEM parts for Ford. But I haven't heard anything good or bad about them.
I was considering their Mach 500 Clutch.

I have a SPEC flywheel and Exedy's look different so I dunno if I will have to get a new flywheel as well or not if I do this
Was looking at Blowby racing to order if I do... don't know if they are good and fast or not.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-11-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I guess they used my old pilot from my old clutch then when they put the new tranny and clutch in probably.

I am getting my slave cylinder replaced so should I get a new pilot bearing as well?

I am trying to solve the damn horrible scrape/honking noise since I put in this SPEC 2+ and SPEC steel flywheel.
Started about at 400mi after install and now I am at 550 and it seems to only be getting worse.
Chandler at Brenspeed said it was the slave cylinder but others have said it is the organic/metallic mix that SPEC uses so I am shat out of luck.

I am debating on replacing the clutch so that if the new slave cyl. does not fix the issue... I don't have to pay for the tranny to get opened up again.
I was considering a Mcleod because I haven't heard anything bad about them yet but they are so damn expensive.
Then I heard about Exedy and that they make OEM parts for Ford. But I haven't heard anything good or bad about them.
I was considering their Mach 500 Clutch.

I have a SPEC flywheel and Exedy's look different so I dunno if I will have to get a new flywheel as well or not if I do this
Was looking at Blowby racing to order if I do... don't know if they are good and fast or not.
The pilot bearing is located in the center of the flywheel. It is actually seated in the rear hub of the drank that the flywheel botls too. It supports the end of the input shaft on the tranny. THe pilot bearing costs about 10.00 to replace and the Ford tech manual reccomends replacement when changingthe clutch out. You'd be foolish not too as would Ford or any tranny shop. Takes little time to replacegiven the proper tool. I have no idea what it would sound like with the pilot bearing out, but guessing, you would likely have massive vibrations, noises, and engagement issues at all times Because the input shaft would have no support at all. It would be noticeable (so i am told) as soon as you began to drive off from the service center you had the work done at.

Oh, and Brenspeed would have replaced the 10.00 part almost as sure as I am sitting here. They would not risk reputation on saving 10.00 bucks IMHO.

Last edited by 05redfirepearlGT; 10-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.