Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shifter Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Question Shifter Install Question

I've read through several install write ups, American Muscle's install guide, and even the directions that came with it. So I'm confident the install should go smoothly. But I just bought the Steeda Tri-ax for my 09 GT and was just wondering if there were any tips or tricks that some of you with experience could share with me. I am going to be installing this in my driveway tomorrow morning while on jack stands. I suppose my biggest concern is that I only have 2 jack stands, and I was wondering where would the best place to position them be? Front, back? Which would gain the easiest access to shifter from underneath? Also any other experiences or comments are welcome
Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

102 views and no comments... Man, I feel like a leper

Anyway, I got the shifter in without taking the driveshaft out. It was a PITA but it got done nonetheless.

I guess the advice that I was looking for was someone to point out that shim washers came with the kit for the back shifter mount, and that the shifter would be difficult to operate in some cars without using them. Well, my car was affected by the slight variation in trans/engine alignment, so now that it's all together and I've been driving with it for a few days, I need to drop the back of it and use these spacers to correct the problem.

Also, I was unaware of the noise being transfered into the cabin area without the use of the Dynomat that was also supplied with the kit. So needless to say, the consol must come out for the sound deadening to be installed.

I plan on taking care of both problems this Sat morning when I have free time. And even though not one person gave me any feedback, I figured I'd update my thread anyhow incase any one of the 102 readers were curious to see how it turned out
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Root66

I think a lot of people who viewed the thread were thinking what I was.."Spend $250 for a shifter but won't spend $30 for a pair of jack stands"?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Root66
I think a lot of people who viewed the thread were thinking what I was.."Spend $250 for a shifter but won't spend $30 for a pair of jack stands"?
OUCH!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

I read this thread yesterday but didn't comment because it seemed like any info would be several days too late

I installed the MGW shifter with just ramps at the front, and I'm not a small guy. I would assume that you would use the jacks on the front of the car.

Didn't take the DS out; I did loosen the transmission mounts a bit, but I'm not sure if I really needed to. Apparently some of the newer 08+ cars have this extra sound deadening stuff in the tunnel which makes it a pain to bolt/unbolt the shifter, but mine didn't have it.

I hear you (no pun intended) on the extra noise. Please post back once you've done the Dynomat; I did that and it helped, but there's definitely extra noise, especially in the 2500-3500rpm range.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Haha touche on the jack stands comment Root66! My biggest problem is space. I've been doing my work in my mom's small driveway because I've since moved into an apartment, but left my toolbox and gear there. I'm currently in the housing market looking for a spot with a garage and driveway space. But that's a little off topic. You can get an idea of my workspace by my profile picture. My motorcycle is actually in my neighbor's spot next to my mom's postage stamp sized parking spot. The blacktop infront of the car is about a 50ft long hill leading up to the street. lol Not much wiggle room.

HypromanGT, thanks for the vote of confidence with the noise issue. I'll post after the weekend and let you know how it turns out. I did have the jackstands in the front also, and I'm not a small guy either. It was a little tight under there, but the creeper on wheels made it easier to reposition myself to get into goofy areas

Last edited by mmarsh3014; 09-23-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Addition