Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA Full Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA Full Exhaust

my performance shop got mine from JBA directly and gave the whole setup to me for his cost and charged me $390 to put the entire thing on (including the headers). it is pretty loud but not annoying loud; just sounds mean.

i would love to put on a sound byte of my exhaust but someone is gonna have to tell me how to
Old 08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: delurker

The Steeda mounts come with 2 hard & 4 soft bushings (you need 2 each side, 4 total). Anyone with the JBA long tubes know if the soft ones are firm enough to keep the headers from hitting the frame, or should I use the hard ones on the frame side of the engine rotation?
Hi delurker,

Using the all red puck setup is good enough and limits engine motion enough to not have the headers hit the steering rod or chassis, vibration is also pretty well controlled. I have the 2 red 2 black combination and there is indeed some vibration getting into the car but the car's response is much sharper feeling so I kept the 2 black pucks in just because of the way it feels.

If you have a stock H-pipe the vibration is very small even with the black pucks installed I think because of the high mass of the stock Ford cats. If you have a large, one piece X-pipe with small high flow/race cats like the Magnaflow Tru-X pipe as I've installed there is a resonance (you can feel), in the pipe that builds from 1,500RPM that peaks at about 2,500 RPM (where you can hear it but no longer feel it), when cold but when the pipe warms up it quits down a bit but it's still there at part throttle even when hot. The Magnaflow Tru-X works well and the sound is amazing at full throttle and upper RPMs.

HTH
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Thanks F1Fan. Looks like I was a little late calling the shop, though. I spoke with them this morning and they had already installed the motor mounts with red/black on each side. Can't blame them - my list of install stuff was kinda long, and they made a copy of my notes I had brought for myself (with permission, of course). I had written "hard & soft" next to the motor mounts to remind myself that both were in the box, but they understandably took that as directions to use both, plus they said that would be the "street/strip" combo to use and that I'd probably like the feel, though it would introduce a bit of vibe. If I don't like it, I can always have them switch it to red/red - or just buy a floor jack and do it myself.

I got the JBA catted H-pipe to go with the headers, so we'll see. I have quite a bit of dynamat in the trunk and some in the doors, so if I don't like the vibe I may add a bit more under the floor or wherever it seems to come from. The car felt pretty solid before the headers and new mounts.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Richard6669
1st Gear Member

Good delurker, I think i will go with the same setup as well. SS long tubes, JBA catted H-pipe and Steeda motor mounts. Let me know how you like them when the install is finished. Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 PM
baltimucho

So... Am I a fool to install my JBAs without the stiffer motor mounts? I bought them without knowing about this issue and they are sitting in my garage just BEGGING to be installed tomorrow! =)
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

you can install them without the motormounts and they were fine...the problem came when the factory motor mounts could not hold up and the drive side motor mount broke...then all hell broke loose. every time i would start the car, it would slam the left header into the chassis. every time i would stomp on the gas, the same thing would happen. it wasnt only annoying but it eventually squeezed the header pipes together and they began to vibrate against eachother so i had to heat and reshape them too.

to make a long story short, you dont HAVE to insall the motor mounts right off the bat but you will eventually so you may as well get it over with right now while you are already under the car
Old 11-05-2005, 10:03 AM
baltimucho

Ah... I see.

Well, I love being under my car. So I will install the headers today and order the motor mounts and install them when thet arrive.

Thanks for the info!