Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

MGW costs a little more, but worth it.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM
AZPony

Originally Posted by tbar
MGW costs a little more, but worth it.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with it.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Good choice!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM
AZPony

Originally Posted by jz
I have the Pro 5.0 and love it. I kept the stock ****, and height.
Thanks for feedback. How do you like the Magnaflow exhaust?...well worth it? I've been looking at that project as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
AZPony

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
dunno if i'm too late to chime in or not.. but i LOVE my Hurst Billet Competition Plus Shifter (Hurst Performance 3915201).. http://www.americanmuscle.com/hurst-...er-0509gt.html went from stock 4" pull to 2" pull (1st to 2nd) and to me it feels gated.. even with my heavy aluminum **** it self-centers like a dream.. but i'm sure any will be better than stock
No you're not too late. I'm not in a hurry. I want to make sure I get the right one for me. That's good to hear about the Hurst. I had read somewhere that the gates were a little rough...maybe it was an install issue or bad adjustment. Thanks for the good info.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
AZPony

Originally Posted by Thundersteel
MGW = Made in USA

Hurst = Made in China

I know that's not important to many people, but it is to me.
Me too. I do think it's important where we decide to spend our hard earned cash and try to keep good jobs here. It's tough to try to buy "American" anymore.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've tried several shifters, so I can give some decent advice.

First I tried the saleen short shifter "block". It's sort of like a spacer that changes the geometry of the throw. It was nice if you want to retain as stock a feel as possible with a shorter throw (and it was the only thing out back when I first bought my car), but I wanted something a bit more substantial, so...

Second I bought the Hurst Competition Plus. Great shifter if you like extremely short throws and the best looking of any aftermarket shifter, but extremely notchy. I would miss third gear while powershifting at least once every ten runs at the track. Embarassing, so...

Third (and finally) I forked over the big bucks for the MGW. I go to the track at least once a month and I have only missed one powershift since I bought it 6 months ago. I only keep it 3 turns out and it is perfect for me and my frequent trips to the drag strip.

Do it right the first time. Buy the MGW.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
AZPony

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I've tried several shifters, so I can give some decent advice.

First I tried the saleen short shifter "block". It's sort of like a spacer that changes the geometry of the throw. It was nice if you want to retain as stock a feel as possible with a shorter throw (and it was the only thing out back when I first bought my car), but I wanted something a bit more substantial, so...

Second I bought the Hurst Competition Plus. Great shifter if you like extremely short throws and the best looking of any aftermarket shifter, but extremely notchy. I would miss third gear while powershifting at least once every ten runs at the track. Embarassing, so...

Third (and finally) I forked over the big bucks for the MGW. I go to the track at least once a month and I have only missed one powershift since I bought it 6 months ago. I only keep it 3 turns out and it is perfect for me and my frequent trips to the drag strip.

Do it right the first time. Buy the MGW.
Thanks for that info. This has been so much help from all the posts. Good Luck next time at the track! Smoke 'em
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZPony
Thanks for feedback. How do you like the Magnaflow exhaust?...well worth it? I've been looking at that project as well.
Yeah, I'm real happy with the Magnaflow (Magnapacks). I have had numerous compliments on the exhaust from random people too.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

How long does it take for MGW to deliver? I've had mine on order for over a week, and except for a payment receipt, I haven't heard anything from them!

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter