Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Realistic Cost of Cams vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Go supercharger.. Cams sounds great and are a nice add on when you have a few dollars laying around but if you want the power then go FI.. Plus, you could always take the opportunity to really learn your car and install it yourself. A first timer could get it done in a weekend if you have all the tools. Or if you want you can a shop, it'll be anywhere from about 800-1600.. Keep in mind you will need a tune for both set-ups as well if you have any mods like LTs, ported heads, etc.. if you want custom that will run another 500+.. If you're going to slap a supercharger on a stock GT than look at spending about $7000 with install.. Being that you live in Ohio you're not too bad of a drive from Brenspeed themselves and they have great kits and great install prices if you drive out there.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I started with CAI, exhaust and cams and was happy with my car. My car was still a stock mustang just with a bunch of bolts ons. So it was much faster but not a beast at all.

Next was the Roush m90,JDM CAI and a custom tune . Not this changed the car big time. Currently have about 425 rwhp and the car is a beast. I drive it daily and race the sh*t out of it every month at the dragstrip. The car runs flawless. I currently have a Brenspeed tune and these guys really now their stuff cause this tune is even better than my JDM tune. I still have the stock pulley so I could still bump it up if I feel the need.

IMO, exhaust cams and all those bolts ons are nice mods but will they give you the HP and torque that your looking for? If you want a major HP increase go straight for the supercharger.

All my mods were installed by myself with friends help. I am no mechanic but have some skills and with help from some buddies we got it all done. Cams by far were the most complicated. Longtubes the most hours and challenging. Supercharger install was actually quite simple and straight forward. I would enjoy doing it again. I never want to install headers again!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 AM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

theres nothing wrong with a v3, $3800, install in about 8-10 hours your self with basic tools, smooth and fast. cons: hates warm weather.

http://youtu.be/Y-xwlwCE1MI
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
s197hoonage

whatever you do, spend the money. if you are going FI dont go cheap on it, we are talking about your motor here...