Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to tap into trunk wiring on 2013 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default How to tap into trunk wiring on 2013 GT?

I would like to add a couple of LED light bars inside the trunk of my 2013 GT to get more light. The problem is I don't want to tear up the whole trunk to get to the wiring nor do i want unsightly wires showing. Since I want the LEDs to go on and off with the trunk light, I need to tap in the wiring at the bulb. Not sure how the paneling comes apart. Any ideas?

JC
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

the panel on the trunk itself comes off really easily. The clips are 2 part clips, the center part needs to be pulled out with like a screwdriver, then the rest comes out. The light wires are in a plastic loom that goes from the trunk lid to the rest of the car on the right/passenger side. I would look up a wiring diagram to find the exact wire you need to splice in to, and you should be able to ground it anywhere, or just use the ground for the light and splice into that too. It is up to you how you do it. Between the speakers you should be able to mount the led lights, or on the outside of the speakers, or both if you have that many lights. Sounds like a pretty easy install, just be careful when you mount them, if you use screws they might pop through the rear deck lid if you aren't careful. Good luck, and post pictures!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
the panel on the trunk itself comes off really easily. The clips are 2 part clips, the center part needs to be pulled out with like a screwdriver, then the rest comes out. The light wires are in a plastic loom that goes from the trunk lid to the rest of the car on the right/passenger side. I would look up a wiring diagram to find the exact wire you need to splice in to, and you should be able to ground it anywhere, or just use the ground for the light and splice into that too. It is up to you how you do it. Between the speakers you should be able to mount the led lights, or on the outside of the speakers, or both if you have that many lights. Sounds like a pretty easy install, just be careful when you mount them, if you use screws they might pop through the rear deck lid if you aren't careful. Good luck, and post pictures!
Thanks for the input. I got the light bar. Once the weather improves and I get time, I will install and take photos.

Joe C
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I would use a trailer wiring harness so I could plug right in to the OEM plug and not mess with original wires. It also isolates the new circuit so nothing bad happens.