Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Tranny issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Houghtown
Yeah that was probably OEM. What does a new 3650 cost nowadays anyway?? There is a shop here in town that has 3 of them new for $650 each. Not sure if that is one hell of a price or average.
AHHHHHH!!! brudda, 3650's are satan's curse on the stang world.. run while you still can! lol I like the T-56 idea better.. Either that or a TKO..

Just for the 2-3 synchro repair kits, even new that shouldn 't be more than 3 or 4 hundred for the whole kit, it's the labor that's going to kill you. This is just me, but unless you're going to rebuild the whole tranny with forged parts it's not worth it just to fix the synchro's. The rebuild I did on the first 3650 I had ended up lasting about six months and then it crapped itself on the track.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

+1.
Don't waste your time, energy, or money on that transmisson. It'll be the death of your sanity, trust me. I've been there, done that with POS trans that are known to suck from the factory. You can build them or buy aftermarket "built" ones, fact is, they will let you down over and over. You will come out cheaper if you go ahead and do it right the first time. Get some beer, take that 3650 out to a field, shoot the hell out of it, then take the remaining carcass to a scrap yard and get $50 for it. Then buy a T-56 or TKO......problem solved, no more worries.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

alright Subotai and Stone, ain't even my thread but my burls are feeling busted. You guys have me considering getting a T-56 or a TKO. You guys really think a quality 3650 build won't last? I'm not boosted or juiced so I'd think the built 3650 would do. You guys are killing me! So I can start considering the $ factor (it's a major one), who has the best deals on those trannies? Thx a buttload.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
alright Subotai and Stone, ain't even my thread but my burls are feeling busted. You guys have me considering getting a T-56 or a TKO. You guys really think a quality 3650 build won't last? I'm not boosted or juiced so I'd think the built 3650 would do. You guys are killing me! So I can start considering the $ factor (it's a major one), who has the best deals on those trannies? Thx a buttload.
hehe... Rygi brudda, trannies are an a$$load of a$$ pain anyway you look at it.. The 3650 built or not would last for a little while, but they're honestly designed for people who don't open up the throttle, at ALL.. Any kind of hard accleration for any kind of extended period of time eventually kills them, usually the synchro's first. I know, I had it happen three times before I decided to upgrade broham.

I haven't shopped for trannies since I got my TKO, but used to be you could get a new TKO-500 for a little less than 2600 and the TKO-600 for a little less than 2900 bucks.. The base model T-56 runs about 4k and the viper spec T56 runs a little over 4500.. That varies a little depending on where you look, but that's a pretty good ballpark.. I'd start looking at Maximum Motorsports and Steeda and branch out from there.. That's if you're going new..

You could probably get your hands on a low mileage used T56 for a couple grand from the junkyard, or somebody selling one though.. All depends on what your goals are for the car.. Like Stonie said, even if it's down the road a piece, it's worth it to do it right the first time so you don't have to screw with it later on broham..
Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subotai_95
hehe... Rygi brudda, trannies are an a$$load of a$$ pain anyway you look at it.. The 3650 built or not would last for a little while, but they're honestly designed for people who don't open up the throttle, at ALL.. Any kind of hard accleration for any kind of extended period of time eventually kills them, usually the synchro's first. I know, I had it happen three times before I decided to upgrade broham.

I haven't shopped for trannies since I got my TKO, but used to be you could get a new TKO-500 for a little less than 2600 and the TKO-600 for a little less than 2900 bucks.. The base model T-56 runs about 4k and the viper spec T56 runs a little over 4500.. That varies a little depending on where you look, but that's a pretty good ballpark.. I'd start looking at Maximum Motorsports and Steeda and branch out from there.. That's if you're going new..

You could probably get your hands on a low mileage used T56 for a couple grand from the junkyard, or somebody selling one though.. All depends on what your goals are for the car.. Like Stonie said, even if it's down the road a piece, it's worth it to do it right the first time so you don't have to screw with it later on broham..
Good grief...well this brother doesn't have the cash for a new upgrade tranny so I'm gonna have the 3650 rebuilt for now. Just won't abuse it at all...AT ALL! Though even if it ain't broke, if I do come into some loot I'm gonna get a T56...w/ the V spec and 4.30s being the dream combo. Thx a buttload for the info.