Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Winter Plans???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

chemical guys or adams...chemical guys has multiple choices and is cheaper...adams has a 110% money back guarantee if you dont like it
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shad2009
adams has a 110% money back guarantee if you dont like it
That didn't work for me when I told them their clay bar sucked.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

The 72 Mach1 only goes out when the roads are snow and gravel-free. My 05 v6 is my DD. Studded snows and TC work well, with ClearBra to protect the paint. I find I can easily keep up with the SUVs and pickups. A great handling car on the road handles well on the snow!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
BigMech

I plan to take it out on nice days when the salt has been washed away by a good rain. Because of the crap yesterday, they went nuts with the salt around me, so it will be a little before mine comes out of the garage again.

My winter driver (2007 Charger R/T) has about 85% of the hp of the Mustang in it's current trim, but weighs about 500lbs more. I used to think it was fast till I got the GT. With snow tires and all the weight, it does fine in the snow.

Even with the winter tires I put on the Mustang, I think it would suck horribly in the snow with the 6-speed and the 3.73's.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I make my decisions for winter tires based on Consumer Report's testing. The grippiest snow tires I'v owned have been top rated CR tires. This year, the my choice is the Hankook i*cept because the Michelin receoved a poor rating on dry braking and below average on hydroplaning, both big winter driving activities here in the MileHi City. Both had good handling ratings.

I find a great set of snow tires makes a huge difference in the driving experience. With traction control on, I can generally out-drag and out-corner the SUVs and 4WD pickups. Now if I could just buy something that would get the chronic tailgaters of my ***...I know they can't stop as fast as I can!

For details: see CR site below. Unfortunately, you have to subscribe to get the best reviews, $27/year, well worth it if you buy anything throughout the year.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...inter-tire.htm

Tested size was 215/60R16.

MF supplier Tire Rack is worth consulting, and their tire calculator is invaluable if you want to run non-standard tires.

All the best,Consumer Reports Recommended tires:

Michelin-X-Ice Xi3-Tire-image
RECOMMENDED

Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Price as tested:
$120

Overall score

A very good choice if sure-footed winter grip is the top priority. See Ratings

Michelin-X-Ice Xi2-Tire-image
RECOMMENDED

Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Price as tested:
$125

Overall score

A very good choice if sure-footed winter grip is the top priority. See Ratings

Hankook-i*cept evo-Tire-image
RECOMMENDED

Hankook i*cept evo
Price as tested:
$91

Overall score

A good choice for most winter driving conditions. See Ratings

Pirelli-Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II-Tire-image
RECOMMENDED

Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II
Price as tested:
$116

Overall score
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.... and wash away any sand and salt for a shiny weekend to keep riding!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Snow shower on x-mas though!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Snow shower on x-mas though!
Kill joy!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

Well my little experiment regarding how long I can make it without winter tires is over. I went out really, REALLY late on Wednesday (think 1-2 AM) during the first storm of the week when no one was on the road to see how my pony handled, and it was manageable. I wasn't losing traction any more or less than anyone in a FWD vehicle. I went down 125 from the Lee traffic circle back to Haverhill, and by the time I got to Haverhill it was all rain anyways. 101 was unplowed at that point (went on it for two exits just to try out the highway roads), and it was pretty dicey. Max speed on 125 was 30, max on 101 was 40.

Last night, however, was a completely different story. Traction was terrible. I have a steep driveway, and it took me probably 30 minutes to get out of it. I have a stone retaining wall on one side, so there is very little room for error before you're sliding into the wall. Long story short, even starting out in 2nd gear was terrible. When there is snow deeper than 2 inches, I could barely control the car on a slope, even with 200 lbs in the trunk. So I am finally taking everyone's advice and buying snow tires. I ordered some Blizzak WS70s from Tirerack, and bought these 17" wheels with them (not my car in the picture, but it illustrates how it will look on my V6).

The order should be arriving at the installer by early to mid next week. Can't wait. I hate not being able to drive places when I want to! The second pic is how sad my Mustang is that I even tried to drive in deep snow without winter tires.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Plans???-dsc01916.jpg   Winter Plans???-imagejpeg_2v2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

I remember last year I got caught with my Nitto 555s on the rear and I couldn't do a 3 point turn to save my life and almost took out a parked car lol. Got me a FWD focus for this year with new all season tires lol. Pony is taking a nap while she gets a face lift lol.

Quick Reply: Winter Plans???