Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

The Mustang SVO Cares More About 0 To 50 Than 9 To 5!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 AM
MustangForums Editor
MustangForums Editor

Default The Mustang SVO Cares More About 0 To 50 Than 9 To 5!

Since it's looking increasingly likely that we're getting another four-cylinder turbo Mustang soon, I thought it would be fun to revisit the ads behind the original one: the 1984-1986 Mustang SVO.

The first one shows the men behind the Mustang, or at least some actors who play them. They're manly men! They care about performance and handling, not punching the clock. They're all about zero to 50 -- not 9 to 5. This ad would make you believe that Special Vehicle Operations was four or five guys with bad haircuts who souped up the 2.3-liter four in their spare time, just because they cared about raw, unbridled speed, not seeing their wives and children.

Then there's this one, which does a pretty decent and straightforward job of showing the SVO's performance kick. As far as 80s car ads go, it's almost kind of dull -- no lasers or ridiculous jingles, even though the SVO garage looks like the inside of a spaceship. "The machine speaks for itself," the announcer tells us. Fair enough.

Now, I highly doubt they'll call this new four-banger Mustang the SVO. The original one was named for the Special Vehicle Operations unit, a group that technically doesn't exist anymore. Maybe they'll call it the Mustang ST? I kind of like that one. It's similar to the Mustang GT but pays homage to the Focus ST it gets its engine from.

Any guesses on the name of the new turbo 'Stang?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

4T? Sounds like a cell phone abbreviation.
Turbo? Nah, tacky.

I don't think there is another name that would resonate with the mustang drivers unless they call it the SVO.

Go badge-less like the V6, or slap SVO on there. If the price truly is going to be between the V6 and GT SVO would make the most sense.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The trim level ST would seem appropriate because of the (not yet released) Fiesta ST and Focus ST, but for those models that trim level is near the top of the line while for the Mustang it would be above the V6 but below the GT and GT500. If Ford decided to make that trim level on most of their car models to be known as strictly the high output turbo 4 then that would be cool.