New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Suspension rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 PM
El-Cacique

Question Suspension rattle

I have been listening to my car since I had it, I worked on it for a while I have not started modding my suspension, I have stated to hear a rattle/clanking noise as I go to Speed bumps but that's it on there I also hear it when I turn right>> I don't know what it is, I've checked the Sway bar but its not shaking, I have checked lower control arms and upper control arms, I have also checked Pan hard bar, and I have checked rocker panels and I have checked if it was seat belt latch was moving. It is all in place not shaking, I checked rear shocks, and rear ball joint. I had to record with my phone several places in the back of the car and the sound haven't appeared there. I had to put the phone in the front chassis of my car, and that's when I heard it, I heard the sound there, it was somewhere there, I checked the Front struts but they are perfectly fine, I'm just guessing its either The Oil service panel since I had my chin spoiler changed but I think a bolt probably got lose or the front lower control arms, help! any advice would be much help for me thank you
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The sway bar won't move by hand as long as it's connected to the end links, so you can't
go by that. Bad bushings, or end links will cause noise, been there, done that. Could also
just be the strut tower caps. The sway bar, and end links are all under tension when
connected, you won't be able to move them. I have had KNOWN BAD end links, and
I could not tell which one it was till it came off, and it was the opposite side than what
I thought. I heard the knock, clank, from the left side, and it was the right side end link.
Yanked, pushed and pulled on both links, neither of them moved while on the car. Right
side upper socket was worn, and you could see the ball wobble when loosening the nut
with an air tool...

Charger, had a rattling knock, clanking, was the sway bar bushings. Less than a year,
they went bad again... I got under the car, pushed and pulled, it did not move, but I
replaced the bushings anyway, and it went away.

IF it has the miles on it, replace the sway bar bushings, if it stops, you're good, if not, proceed
to end links.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Sway bar end links can make a heck of a rattle. But show no signs of being worn when removed.
Easy DIY to fix.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM
El-Cacique

I’ll switch the Sway bar then thank you ���� both of you
Old 04-11-2018, 02:19 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by El-Cacique
I’ll switch the Sway bar then thank you ���� both of you
Just the bushings! Then proceed to end links of still present.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:31 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna say it's the end links. My old 95 Contour went through them a lot. Get a good set... some say Moog, but I'm not convinced of their quality. Motorcraft perhaps....