New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First manual car, and it's a mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 AM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Default First manual car, and it's a mustang!

Hello all! Been hunting around for a while looking for a cheap beater to learn manual with when suddenly a 98 Mustang GT popped up on my radar near my price range. A manual car to learn with and a long term project all in one? Snatched her right up! (Long post, I'm just so excited!)

http://imgur.com/a/jCIQRoN (sorry for the imgur link, it's my only means of posting pictures at the moment via my phone)

Pros: 1. Being a convertible (with a new top) that I could fit my family in was a good selling point when I presented it to the SO.
2. The body looks to be in great condition.
3. Mechanically it seems pretty good for its age too (at first at least). Heck it even has the newer intake manifold with the metal front.
4. The electronics all work! Radio, lights, power seats, roof, windows.
5. It's a Mustang GT in my price range! So much potential!

Cons: 1. Looks like it took a ding a while back on the passenger side that was covered up by bondo. But now the bondo is starting to crack and I think there rust.
2. The passener rear window panel looks slightly misaligned inward so the friction overpowers the motor.
3. After a couple of test runs around the neighborhood, I noticed the coolant has a slight yellowish haze, a metallic screeching sound that I'm guessing is coming from one of the pullies in the lower front passenger side of the engine, and an intermittent puffing noise out the passenger exhaust. No check engine light is on but it supposedly had codes P3110 and P3111 (I think) that now turned into P0302 cylinder 2 misfire. Still no CEL or white exhaust though.
4. I have no idea about the maintenance history of the car other than a newer radiator hose, nonstock spark plug wires, 2 new rear tires, and supposedly not due for an oil change for 2k more miles according to a windshield sticker lol. She definitely needs new rear brake pads and rotors though.
5. She's 20 years old with 180k miles. Definitely some mechanical and upholstery wear and tear. Touched a wire on top of the engine and the insulation came off for example and the leather seats are pretty torn up.

I don't have much car maintenance experience but I'm sure she'll be a great learning opportunity and I'm looking forward to it. My budget is limited note after the purchase. I was originally thinking of doing a full flush and change of all fluids but now with the supposed misfire, I might need to troubleshoot that first. If anyone has any ideas about the mechanical issues, please feel free to give me some pointers. Otherwise I'll post specific single topic questions in the tech forums im the future.

Important question though, as there is no owners manual, what's the best maintenance manual for that I can pick up for guidance?

Sorry again for the long post but I look forward to becoming part of the community!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the typos. Fat fingers and all that.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:11 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

bet that clutch pedal is heavy as sh)t
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Longtermmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Nate
bet that clutch pedal is heavy as sh)t
I don't have much experience to be able to gauge light vs heavy clutches but I didn't think it's bad the couple times I took it out. I'm more thrown off by the long travel to get it fully down.