New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Issues with 1995 Mustang Cobra Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:01 PM
Kvignali1

Unhappy Issues with 1995 Mustang Cobra Starting

Hello Everyone,
The Start Of My Issues
- I have been getting these intermittent issues with my stang not starting. At first the car would not crank at all. I dove into the Ford Security System and found some dip switches at the time. Having no clue what any of them do I just started flipping dips and trying to start the car. Eventually I came to a combination where the car would crank and start. A couple weeks go by and I have issues starting it again.
- This is a weekend car so it sits for the work week and I drive it 2-3 days on the weekend/days off. I always have trouble starting it after a work week. Long story short my daily car broke down and I had to start daily'ing the stang.
- The intermittent starting issues have only gotten worse. So after getting so fed up with the car having issues, I unplugged the Ford Security System completely from the interior fuse box which is fuse position 6 (15A Fuse). The car again cranks and starts, but now I have a different issue.
After Removing The Ford Security System From The System
- This issue is now the car has a blinking anti-theft red light to the right of the steering column. When I unlock the car with the key-fob, the light does not stop blinking. If I try to start the car with the light blinking, it will not crank at all. Here's where it gets weird. I was for a little while setting off the panic with the fob and while the alarm was going off, I would Lock and Arm the alarm, then unlock and unlock the passenger door. I would do this back and fourth while the alarm was going off. I also pulled the 20A fuse for the Horns, Fog Lamps, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) so I wouldn't wake up the neighbors at 4AM when I went to work.
This is the sequence I would do with the fob when the panic was on,
lock > arm, unlock
lock > arm, unlock
I did this as many times needed until the red light to the right of the steering column would shut off and I heard a relay click in the rear of the car. I would then do the sequence one more time, Lock > Arm, Unlock. Finally the car would crank and start.
- Today I go to do my little cadence to start the car and now the little light next to the column wont shut off at all. I determined that maybe the door latch on the driver side was causing issues. So I ripped the driver side door apart to get the latch out. I did find (what I think is the door lock sensor) had a tab broken and was no longer attached. I figured if I plug the door lock sensor back in and put some metal in front of it, the car would know it's unlocked. It worked one time and the car would crank, but not start at all. I then unplugged the sensor and tried to jump the plug with a paperclip, as well as ground it on the chassis, but now I have that issue where the red light is blinking and the car wont crank.
After Some Troubleshooting
To my knowledge, I have removed the security system from the car. To be fully honest I don't even know what that's for, cause the car still unlocks and locks with the fob, and cranks without it plugged into the system. I need some serious schematics so I can diagnose the locking system cause I may have some issues with the actual wiring and not the sensors/modules. Id like to remove the anti-theft locking system completely and make it an old school key entry from the driver door if possible so I never have issues again, but right now I have no car to go to work and I need answers fast haha!!!

This is what my Ford Security System module looks like. No the actual one though.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:52 AM
Kvignali1

Exclamation *Update*

*Update*
I tore the door apart and found that the door locking switch in the door latch is what is causing my issues. The switch had a broken tab that would not allow the switch to be depressed when the door was opened and locked. After unlocking the car the switch was never released indicating to the car the door was unlocked so it was a "breach" and the security system shut off fuel I believe. This switch below was the problem. The little button got stuck down when I tried to press it and test it. Part# is F6DB-13752-AA. Ordered new from
https://www.fordonlyparts.com/1994-1...f6db-13752-aa/

Old 05-01-2024, 10:23 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Glad you were able to track it down, electrical glitches are such a bitch to find