Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Suspension Mod Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Suspension Mod Suggestions

Anyone know on my vert with probalems with the Steeda sub-frame connectors??
Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

Anyone know on my vert with probalems with the Steeda sub-frame connectors??

I have no idea, I haven't worked on a 'vert. But just get under the car and look...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

That is work I'm having get done and wondered if the person doing it would have troblems and I could give them a heads up. I'm revovering from surgery and can't get under a car yet.
Thanks any how.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

The most important thing is a stiff rear sway bar to dial out some of the understeer. Stiffening the rear bar removes understeer, stiffening the front sway bar ADDS understeer.

The companies that sell KITS, want to sell both bars so they can make more money. I would not buy a kit unless it included springs, shocks as well as both sway bars and was from someone who KNOWS the mustang like Roush or Saleen. I think most of the other kits are just that, KITS that are put together with various pieces with various claims in an effort to SELL SOMETHING.

My $0.02.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Ok, I thought I was starting to pick up all the ends and outs of the suspension setups on our cars.......but I just hit another new one for me on the Steeda site. THis may be a total noob question......but I gotta ask. Is there a difference between lower control arms and lower trailing arms? Or are these one in the same? If they are two different components........what purpose do trailing arms serve and is it worth it to go aftermarket with them?

I've decided to do almost a wholesale upgrade on my suspension.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A trailing arm is technically not the same thing as a control arm. Trailing arms are used on indipendant suspension setups, not a solid axle like our cars have. The S197 mustangs have control arms, not trailing arms. I suppose it's possible that a parts vendor is confusing the terms though in which case they might (in this case) be the same thing.

Where did you see the term trailing arm used in the context of these cars?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I saw them on Steeda's website. They have listings for 05-07 lower "trailing" arms in addition to listings for 05-07 lower "control" arms. I didn't catch it at first......and then I started to second guess myself on it. I figured at first that they were just giving the same component two different names. But I wanted to ask and make sure. Check out Steeda's site under the mustang suspension section to see what I mean.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

OK, I just looked over at Steeda's site.

They are using the term "trailing arm" and "control arm" interchangeably. On their web site, it's the same thing.

Their web site is not very accurate in general. You'll notice that they list their "Front Control Arm Bushing Kit" for 05 through 07. In reality it only fits 05s, but their web site used to say 05-06, and now it says 05-07, which is even worse of a mistake!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Ok, that's what I thought also. But as I said, I'm still learning the suspension setup on our cars.......and I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks CA.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl,

Quick question about your UCA recommendation. you said:
I suggest the one with the spherical bearing. Also, buy a polyurethane bushing that fits in the diff housing to go with it.
Why do you suggest the spherical bearing w/ the poly bushing for the diff as opposed to the poly bushing UCA with the diff bushing? Wont the spherical bearing transfer A LOT more noise to the car? Wouldn't the poly be a little more bearable for the guys who have their pony as a daily driver?

I was just wondering if you could further explain this recommendation?

Thanks....

Quick Reply: Need Suspension Mod Suggestions