Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

struts for a circle track 06 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
old33auto

Default struts for a circle track 06 mustang

I am building a 06 mustang the race on a 3/8 mile high bank dirt oval. I am trying to find front struts that look stock. the left front must be a 50/50 and work with a lowered suspension. The right front must be a 90/10 and also work with a lowered suspension. I have searched the internet for quite a while and have come up with only sets of springs and struts, but havent found any specs on the stage 1,2, &3 stuff. Anybody have any info that might help?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
AP2TUDE

Default RE: struts for a circle track 06 mustang

I think that in order to get that info, you are going to have to contact the manufacturers directly. I don't know who you found who you were thinking of going through, but there are a few manufacturers that I can think of who do process custom orders like that, although it will cost you in any case.

Koni has a lot of 05+ mustang stuff, both in standards and yellows.
Tokico is coming out with a full line of mustang stuff as of the middle of February
Bilstein does do custom orders as well.

If you want the valving to be specific for circle track, you will either need it custom done or you will just have to search out a set that is double adjustable for rebound and compression, or start delving into some of the more specific shock manufacturers such as PRO and QA1. You can also look to Ohlins or Penske as they make custom and race applications such as these.

I think that cost is going to be the determining factor for you really. It is going to come down to how much that you want to spend to get the performance that you want. There are people out there who can help you, but I don't know anybody who makes setups like what you are looking for in any type of cost effective format.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

Jon
Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Ap2tude -

I just spoke with Koni directly a week ago and they don't have SQUAT for 05+ yet they have a couple part #'s, but no pricing or release date as of yet

Bilstein only offers the HD's for the 05+, which I have and don't like the rebound. I spoke with them directly 2 days ago.

as far as Tokico, I believe all there is are the D-specs, but i'm not positive on that
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 AM
AP2TUDE

I know that Koni going to make a bunch of different stuff for the 05+. Right now they are just working on getting their new pricing structure implemented, it goes in place March 1st.

If you don't like the rebound on the Bilsteins, get them redone. I know that they can revalve everything that they make, and all of that work can be handled out of their place down in San Diego. It isn't cheap necessarily, but every driver is different. Some like their car loose, some like it tight, and all of the damper manufacturers basically aim for the middle of the road knowing that they can't please everyone. That is why they can do things like revalving, that way it is specific for your car and your application.

I am also sure that Koni is going to make an adjustable setup for the Mustang because they manufacture all of the struts that go into the adj. KW coil-over.

As for the D-Specs...they aren't a bad strut at all. The only limitation is that they are singluarly adjustable, which means that you are basically only adjusting the compression stroke. For something like circle track, you really need to be able to adjust compression and rebound in order to be truly effective.

The one thing that I would work on, which is probably easier to deal with than finding the struts, is simply working with your spring rates. Find out the rates that you currently have, and try and play with the rates from corner to corner. Since it is for circle track, obviously all four corners are going to be different as they handle the load differently, but I am sure that you can get a lot more grip out of changes in those. If you are running coil-overs there are a lot of manufacturers who offer 2.25 and 2.5in ID coil-over race springs. Look into Vogtland, Eibach, and Hyperco just to name a few. I am sure that you will be able to find some rates that will work well for you. And on the plus side, individual race springs are actually fairly inexpensive.

Jon