Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ride quality and Performance Handling Parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Default Ride quality and Performance Handling Parts

Okay,so I've gotten a lot of suggestions about suspension and handling upgrades. I have also been given the following list of things to get to make my '06 Stang handle much better:

$550 Tokico D-Spec struts and dampers, the best double/single adj struts and dampers on the street
$230 Steeda Sport or Competition Springs, your pick, Comps +$100 are firm riding but perform better
$ 35 Eibach/SPC camber bolt kit, allows you to set camber, not enough camber but this is a budget build
$160 Steeda bumpsteer kit, corrects steering error and improves steering and handling stability
$180 Steeda Adjustable Panhard bar, improved handling with better feel, allows centering axle in chassis
$ 80 Steeda Panhard bar support brace, improved rear axle location
$100 FRPP GT500 LCA's, very good NVH isolation with plenty of axle location control
$110 FRPP FR500C UCA bushings, improved rear axle location, minimal additional NVH
$160 Steeda rear anti-roll bar with poly bushings, 7/8" bar, retains stock link hardware

So my question is, how will my ride quality be affected by all of these parts if I choose to install them. I use my car as an everyday driver and do not race my car on a track, nor do I really plan to do so (at least regularly or competetively anyway). I like to have fun with my car and would like to improve my handling, but at the same time I do not want the ride to be so harsh that everybump and and dip in the road feels like a 5" deep pothole. I was thinkingthat new springs and the d-spec shocks and maybe the panhard bar would be fine and cheaper. Any recommendations?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ride quality and Performance Handling Parts

You could get away with the Tokico's, Sport springs, Panhard rod and brace, a Steeda HD strut mount kit, and the bumpsteer kit (allows for more adjustable camber and provides a better contact point for the front struts).

I did all this and my ride quality was far better than before. But if you're worried about ride quality, get the sport springs instead of the competition and put that money towards the HD strut mount rather than the camber bolts.

To be honest, for just a street car, the above mods will make such a huge difference in the car's handling characteristics it will blow your mind. Unless you're a weekend AutoXer, road racer, or a serious canyon carver, the rest just won't be as necessary. You can start adding them over time.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, that really is helpful! How much harsher of a ride did all of those modifications make your car?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

The steeda stage 1 handling package along with the tokico d specs wouldnt be bad. I believe the steeda kit comes with the springs,sway bars,panrod and a strut tower for under 600$
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tip, I checked Steeda and they really don't have a pack that I really want. Most of their packs contain a tower strut bar which I heard is a waste of money so I really don't want to pay for it. I'll probably end up buying the parts piece by piece.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'd stick to the Sport springs, or Roush springs over the Comps.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

upgrading the rear sway bar and the d-specs have been the most noticable ride improvement . the LCA,UCA, panhard I really didn't feel much of a difference, except I got the BMR adjustable LCA's and they have 1 rod end and I do notice a bit more noise. If I had to do it again I would get the solid LCA's with poly bushings and adjustable UCA with poly bushing. otherwise they all work great for a daily driver. plus with the d-specs you can adjust it. I originally had them set to 2 turns and it was a hard ride. now I go between 3.5 and 4.5 turns and it is good.