Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Quantum Brak Ducts Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Quantum Brak Ducts Installed

ORIGINAL: houstonnw

ORIGINAL: Red06

I installed the "Track Kit" along with their fascia inlet mounts last month. I'm happy so far (two track days). I got some 3 inch drain plugs from the hardware store (have a wing nut that expands the rubber in the plug for a tight fit) to keep the inlets blocked off when not at the track. I had to cut the ribs off of the rubber (took about five minutes each) and they fit perfectly. A little paint on the flange and you hardly notice them.

Hey Argonaut, do you change your pads at the track or run the HT-10 pads all the time? The HPS pads are not cutting it any more and I'm looking for the next step up. I am trying to find a pad with a bit more bite but is still streetable. My Mustang is not my daily driver and I only put on 5000 or so miles a year.
I have the Quantum Motorsports kit in the garage and will install it before my next track day on the 26th.

That drain plug is a great idea. I was think of finding some dark colored foam pool noodles and cutting them to fit, but I like your idea much better.

My Mustang is not a daily driver. I use Carbotech pads because you don't need different rotors, all of their pads can be used on the same rotors. I use XP10's on the front and XP8's on the rear and Bobcats for the street. However I usually don't even change the track pads out, they don't destroy the rotors like some track pads (Hawk).
I was originally thinking about using foam too but what happens if they get pushed in too far (get wet and slide in, hit a rock etc.)? You'll see when you install the duct kit, you don't want to have to be disconnecting the tubing from the fascia side all the time. It's kind of a PITA. If you have a grinder, you'll want to grind a couple of flat spots on the top and bottom of the metal flange on the plug to make them fit a little easier. I haven't done it yet but it's on my list of things to do. If I get a chance this afternoon, I'll take and post a couple pictures. Depends on when I get home from work.

I'll have to look into the Carbotech pads. My track buddy uses EBC and I'll look into those too.He runs a SC Miata and has the luxury of trailering his car so he doesn't care about street use. Not to mention the Miata is a few pounds lighter... Last year the Hawk HPS were fine. This year I guess I've kicked it up a notch and they start to give out toward the end of the session. I get goodinitial bite and stiff pedal feel but they won't give any moreeven with higher pedal pressure.I guess the only way to describe it is aslick feeling toward the end of the session (20 min.). It gets a littleunnerving comingat 95 into a 30 mph (~120 degree)corner and the brakes begin to feel "slick". I thought the ducts would make a big difference therebut I'm guessing I'm still exceeding the temperature of the pads. I do notice the brakes and wheels are much cooler after the cool down lap. I was always concerned about "cooking" the front bearings.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: houstonnw
I have the Quantum Motorsports kit in the garage and will install it before my next track day on the 26th.
Be advised - the directions leave much desired when mounting the inlets in the front lower grill area. The 'templates' included in the kit didnt even match up with the bolt pattern of the inlets, thus I didnt use them. Youll need to decide if you want the inlets mounted on the outside (very visible) or the backside (hidden behind the honeycomb plastic of the stock lower grill).I have seen pictures of guys who removed the plastic between the honeycomb and then mounted the inlets behind, looks more stock that way. Personally I choose function over looks and mounted them on the outside, plus you can easily plug them this way. Also, when mounting the quantum ducts to the spindles there are right and left pieces and the directions dont show a picture clearly enough for you to know which is which. I had to do some internet searching to make sure I got them on the correct way.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Here are a couple pictures.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41435/ED78F34923BF487B996188995E8B252B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41435/EF49FB1196C94C819A310C84B66F8180.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
RollTide87
1st Gear Member

Just curious. My next mod will be brake ducts. Why the concern over leaving them hooked up and open during normal driving? Unless you drive through standing water, I'm sure more water gets spashed up around the brakes than would go through the inlet and to the brakes. My car is a part-time daily driver (mostly pretty weather) and I was just planning on hooking up the brake vent kit and leaving it. Would that be a problem?

BTW...these threads are great. I have ran a couple of track days at Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham. Great track... very technical with lots of elevation changes and sequence of features. Fortunately for my brakes, it is not a terribly high speed track but there are a few sections with lots of braking without a cooling off period. I have upgraded fluid and SS lines. Currently running HPS pads but considering going to the Carbo-tech Bobcat and track pads combo before the next track day.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would imagine that water would get trapped inside as the hose sags and possibly obstruct the air flow.

In an extreme case, you may get water to splash onto a hot rotor and send fragments of exploding hardened steel in every direction and create mad chaos of death and mayhem..... probably not tho [&o]

Jazzer
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

ive ran my ducts open on the street a few months with no problems, and its rainy season here in florida
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RollTide87

Just curious. My next mod will be brake ducts. Why the concern over leaving them hooked up and open during normal driving? Unless you drive through standing water, I'm sure more water gets spashed up around the brakes than would go through the inlet and to the brakes. My car is a part-time daily driver (mostly pretty weather) and I was just planning on hooking up the brake vent kit and leaving it. Would that be a problem?

BTW...these threads are great. I have ran a couple of track days at Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham. Great track... very technical with lots of elevation changes and sequence of features. Fortunately for my brakes, it is not a terribly high speed track but there are a few sections with lots of braking without a cooling off period. I have upgraded fluid and SS lines. Currently running HPS pads but considering going to the Carbo-tech Bobcat and track pads combo before the next track day.
The more "aggressive" pad you use, the more heat they need to work correctly. I drive a lot of highway and didn't want the brakes to get too cool and not have the bite I expectin an emergency situation.I notice the HPS pads need a couple of uses to warm up before they gripwell. Secondary was keeping water and dirt out when not on the track.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
RollTide87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red06

The more "aggressive" pad you use, the more heat they need to work correctly. I drive a lot of highway and didn't want the brakes to get too cool and not have the bite I expectin an emergency situation.I notice the HPS pads need a couple of uses to warm up before they gripwell. Secondary was keeping water and dirt out when not on the track.
I haven't had a problem with the HPS gripping when cold. Of course, I do live in a much warmer climate so mine hasn't been driven that much in cold weather. My plan is to only have moderately agressive pads on the street (looking at the Carbo-tech bobcats to replace the HPS). Other than that, are there concerns with the brake ducts being open all the time?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

As far as street use, I think you're fine - I've been running ducts on the street for almost a year now with no issues, and I live in Washington and it's a daily driver.

I can see the point about trapped water if the hoses sag, but I've got the Agent 47 kit and the hose is stiffer and routes a bit differently. And as far as standing water, my thought is that if you're going fast enough and it's deep enough to get "sucked" in, you probably shouldn't be driving through it in the first place. I'd be more worried about the gravel that flies off dump trucks, if anything.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Just got back from Summit Point - two days, 8 sessions, ~240 miles, ~10MPG. Going into the eventyou saw the condition my rotors were in. The new ducts did not prevent further degradation, the front rotors are toast now. Need to replace them before Saturday at Pocono. I dont think Im particularly hard on brakes, none of my instructors has said anything, I moved up to HPDE2 and am going pretty fast but I was really working on smoothness and consistency,nosudden slamming on of the brakes or anything like that.Im sure Illget better at conserving them with more time andhopefullythe ducts will make a new set last longer.

The braking performance was top notch - zero fade, lots of confidence in the stock brakes to do the job (+ HP-10 pads, ATE and SS lines)

My Azenis are worn out also - this sport is expensive! LOL.

Red06 - thanks for those pics, looks good.

EDIT: I just realized something. In another thread someone mentioned the smell of the brakes. At my previous event, before installing the ducts, my brakes really smelled on a hard brake from a long straight. This time....NADA. It didnt hit me until now, there was zero brake smell after the ducts were installed. I guess they really do work!

Quick Reply: Quantum Brak Ducts Installed