Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Quantum Brak Ducts Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Quantum Brak Ducts Installed

good stuff guys!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM
bscottmsforums

+1 Carbotech
+1 Quantum
+1 going through pads and rotors

One weekend at Sebring, a very tough track on brakes, cost me front rotors (warped) and a full set of pads. These cars are just heavy beasts.

I'm now running a dedicated set of track rotors so the carbotech compound doesn't mix with the ford stock pad compound. Ran VIR most recently, very fun.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bscottmsforums

+1 Carbotech
+1 Quantum

One weekend at Sebring, a very tough track on brakes, cost me front rotors (warped) and a full set of pads. These cars are just heavy beasts.

I'm now running a dedicated set of track rotors so the carbotech compound doesn't mix with the ford stock pad compound. Ran VIR most recently, very fun.
You actually warped a set of rotors - wow. Did you pull them off and test them to prove they warped or is it possible the 'shimmy' was due to hot spots on the rotors or un-even transfer layer? Did the happen with the brake ducts on or before? Was it the OE rotors?

Im going to move to a dedicated set of track rotors too, thats a good idea, wont have to re-bed the pads every time. VIR looks like a fun track and everyone I talk to, who has been there, raves about it. Eight hour drive for me....maybe someday.

I agree these cars are heavy beasts - I really wish Ford had dropped about 400 pounds off of them. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Argonaut, I heard track conditions were pretty rough and that the new pavement is tearing up on some of the turns. The irony, of course,is that this is all from a Subie site. "waaah, waaah, waaaah, my all-wheel drive rally car can't handle some choppy pavement."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1556451

What a bunch of whiners.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Import_Slaya

Argonaut, I heard track conditions were pretty rough and that the new pavement is tearing up on some of the turns. The irony, of course,is that this is all from a Subie site. "waaah, waaah, waaaah, my all-wheel drive rally car can't handle some choppy pavement."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1556451

What a bunch of whiners.
Thats funny. Those guys should be loving it - rally cars and all. The track didn't bother me in the least. The D-Specs soaked up all those bumps without any problems. Turn 1 & 2, which is ~160 degree right hander was easy, just late apex it and drive straight across the bumps. Turn 5 and 6 were the worst, no way to avoid the bumps but they really didn't bother the car.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Argonaut

I was wondering what you had your D specs and tire pressures set to on the track. I'm running 2 front and 2.5 rear and 40 psi hot all round.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
bscottmsforums

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

+1 Carbotech
+1 Quantum

You actually warped a set of rotors - wow. Did you pull them off and test them to prove they warped or is it possible the 'shimmy' was due to hot spots on the rotors or un-even transfer layer? Did the happen with the brake ducts on or before? Was it the OE rotors?
OE rotors, prior to brake ducts (that's what prompted me to get them). They shimmied hot and cold, and I've never had an uneven transfer prior, plus when I removed them and took them to see if I could get them turned to salvage a backup pair, the response from the shop was, "Boat anchors". So I assume that yes, they were in fact warped.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08
Argonaut

I was wondering what you had your D specs and tire pressures set to on the track. I'm running 2 front and 2.5 rear and 40 psi hot all round.
I run the D-Specs 2 Front, 4 Rear. Falken RT-615s:40 front,38 rear Hot. I also have -2 degree camber in the front which really makes it stick. I developed this setup on AX courses but it seems to work really well on the track also. Of course I have a lot less power than you but my rear is really plantedand Ill only push the font end if I make some bonehead move.

My next set of tires will be Nitto NT-01s. From what I hear they like lower pressures, probably have to experiment a little with them.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

OE rotors, prior to brake ducts (that's what prompted me to get them). They shimmied hot and cold, and I've never had an uneven transfer prior, plus when I removed them and took them to see if I could get them turned to salvage a backup pair, the response from the shop was, "Boat anchors". So I assume that yes, they were in fact warped.
Ok, thanks for the info. Its amazing how hot the braking system can get. So what rotors are you running now? As mentioned in a previous post, I toasted my rotors. Replaced them last night with the Motorcraft version. This was not my first choice by any means but Im off to Pocono and was in a fix to get some new ones asap. I dont have high hopes for them and they weren't exactly cheap at the stealership. Ill see how they hold up with the ducts.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM
bscottmsforums

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

So what rotors are you running now?
take offs....Good luck!

Quick Reply: Quantum Brak Ducts Installed