Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

gt rotors are fricknig heavy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 AM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

Default gt rotors are fricknig heavy

while some eschew drilled/slotted etc rotors as being bunk, and they may be right,

what about any lightweight rotors for our cars?, (stock sizes)
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had any luck finding any brake upgrades in the stock size. I would like a 4-piston caliper as the sliding calipers that our cars have seem to wear brake pads unevenly, and therefore faster.

No luck, other than the GT500 upgrade which seems overkill.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by doc stang
while some eschew drilled/slotted etc rotors as being bunk, and they may be right,

what about any lightweight rotors for our cars?, (stock sizes)
The only way you should even consider a "lightweight" rotor is if you are talking about a 2 piece rotor w/aluminum hat.

Consider this. A car can stop much faster than it can accelerate. ALL that work is being done by the brakes. A HUGE amount of force and heat is put into the brakes. This is why good rotors are not light. In fact I can tell you that aftermarket rotors that are good quality, weight MORE than OEM's in some cases.

The more mass, the more heat they can absorb with warping be it through more vanes, just thicker friction surfaces, or even different metalurgy that is tougher than something less.

You can have light rotors that are great. See the CCM stuff available on Ferrari's, Porsche's and the new ZR1. Also see the cost.....
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
...You can have light rotors that are great. See the CCM stuff available on Ferrari's, Porsche's and the new ZR1. Also see the cost.....
Yea some of them cost more than a complete Mustang GT!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by houstonnw
I haven't had any luck finding any brake upgrades in the stock size. I would like a 4-piston caliper as the sliding calipers that our cars have seem to wear brake pads unevenly, and therefore faster.

Check out the Wilwood 13" kit (part #140-9109). 6-piston calipers instead of 4, but not too insanely priced (~$1700). http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/ds520.pdf
Old 10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I looked into the 13" Wilwood kit some time ago. Per their template, it wouldn't fit with 17" wheels.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by houstonnw

And you have to have the rims to clear them.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ade/index.html
"We must warn you, though, that switching to this brake combination requires a minimum of 18-inch rolling stock. Our test subject had the standard 17-inch Bullitt wheels. On the advice of Justin Burcham of JPC Racing, we selected a set of FRPP Shelby wheels (with black accents). He had cautioned us to be careful when shopping for 18-inch wheels. Apparently, not all wheels fit properly over the massive Brembo setup. The four-piston calipers sit out further than other brake kits, so Shelby-specific wheels should be ordered."

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The only way you should even consider a "lightweight" rotor is if you are talking about a 2 piece rotor w/aluminum hat.

You can have light rotors that are great. See the CCM stuff available on Ferrari's, Porsche's and the new ZR1. Also see the cost.....
Attached Thumbnails gt rotors are fricknig heavy-f1brakes.jpg