Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering Springs Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:35 AM
philip_paas

Default Lowering Springs Questions

I am considering getting a set of lowering springs for my 08 GT. Few Questions though. I am between Eibach and Steeda, which do you guys recommend? Will I need any other Modifications (New Springs, etc)? Do I need camber bolts with either of the above systems? What are your guys experiences with lowering springs (good and bad)? Will this cause a lot of additional wear on my tires? Feel free to share any experiences, thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

If you are doing springs I would highly recommend doing struts/shocks at the same time. It will save you time from having to redo it later, either out of an interest in better ride quality and handling or out of neccessity b/c the lowering springs prematurely wore out your stocks dampers. Tonkico d-specs or Knoi yellows are what most people here are going to recommend. As far as lowering the car itself you may very well need camber plates or at least bolts to get the car back into an acceptable range, 0.25 to -1.25 I believe. If you don't correct the issue, not only will you see premature tire wear but could also experience handling issues. Strut mounts are another potential part you may need to replace. The Steedas are a popular choice b/c they allow for some camber correction. Finally depending how low you go you may need to recenter the rear axle with a panhard bar. This may not be an immediate problem until you decide you put a fatter rear tire in the back, then the issue could really stand out both visually and in handling quality.

Last edited by Ato; 03-29-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

What else you should change will partly depend on why you are lowering the car, what you intend to do with it once it is lowered and how fussy you are about how it rides.

For example if you are only lowering the car for looks and only intend to drive it on weeknds without ever pushing it anywhere near the limits then springs and camber bolts and an alignment may be all you need.

If you provide more details on your usage and goals then you will receive more specific advice.