Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering and ride quality question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Dblex
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering and ride quality question

I know this has been beaten to death, but Ill keep it simple....

Just lowered my 09 with less than 2k on it. Eibach Pro kit...

Not complaining, just have a few observations...

Shes lowered and tight now, handles nice, great feel...

But why do Corvettes, and BMW's or Z's that are lowered just like our stangs feel better on the road?

Is this a whole suspension upgrade issue? or will it always be a difference?

I didnt do struts/shocks ect since the car is so new and I can do that later. But I just know alot of other cars I have driven feel alot smoother and are alot more low to the ground than ours.

Why is this?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Two immediate thoughts are IRS and better shocks.

The live rear axle on our cars is a major drwaback to getting good ride quality especially on less than ideal roads when compared to IRS equipped cars.

Sam will probably elaborate on the shocks and suggest you try Koni's
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

If you lowered your car and didn't upgrade the dampers (can't tell based on your post if you did or didn't) I'd recommend you do so before pursuing this question. That has a hugh effect on handling, compliance, "feel", etc.

But outside of that - How do those cars you mention "feel" better? What is it that you like better? Do you mean they handle better? Do you feel more in control, more confident driving them? Do they have better steering wheel feedback?, less body roll, etc, etc.

I have an 07 Stang and a 99 Vette and thus can speak with some authority on this. My stang is lowered on the same springs as you plus I have the D-specs. My Vette has the stock springs, stock height and QMD 12 way shocks. There are so many things that differ about the suspension and the cars that its no wonder they feel and handle different. In some situations the Vette is better, any way you shake it. But that doesn't mean the Mustang isn't very good, it is and with the proper upgrades it can be made into a wonderful track toy or back canyon carver. But there will always be a difference, the cars have a fundamentally different design and were produced for different reasons, markets and goals. I can't say one is better than the other in all situations, they both have their pros and cons but on a day to day basis I tend to prefer the Stang for most driving, its a wonderful all around car, great mix of performance, comfort and utility. The Vette is much more narrowly focused.