Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Impression of FRPP Handling Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:55 AM
428CJ

Originally Posted by Super D
Didn't Multimatic dev the FRPP suspensions?
I believe Multimatic's Dynamic Suspensions manufactures the dampers and Eibach supplies the springs and sway bars.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 428CJ
I believe Multimatic's Dynamic Suspensions manufactures the dampers and Eibach supplies the springs and sway bars.
I spoke to the Multimatic guys a few years ago after seeing their chassis and suspension tuning work on the Mustang race cars in Grand-Am. I was told they had a couple of suspension packages available through Ford Racing, just wasn't sure which ones at the time, so now I'm curious as to whether the current FRPP handling pack is one of the kits they developed for street application---or if the current ones didn't come from them. If the current kits are from them, I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty darned capable (and well-matched). Maybe not for cracked up roads, but with Multimatic's tuning knowledge, I'd bet on smooth roads the handling would be very good.

So my questions would be: Were the current suspension kits dev'd by Multimatic, and if so, which ones?
(not just dampers)

Multimatic tunes suspensions on a shaker rig, and they tune complete integrated groups of components to derive optimum performance characteristics each unit must have in the package. The key thing to realize is that the street is a huge compromise situation no matter what; it's not like tuning a setup for a particular track's features in racing. A street kit can never perform optimally in varied conditions, because even with ability to change shock dynamics, spring and swaybar rates remain the same (unlike custom race car setups with custom-tailored damper tuning and spring selections per track, adjustable swaybars or cockpit-manipulated bladed swaybars, etc)...This is of course referring to a non-mag suspension, mag's another animal altogether and throws the conventional suspension picture out the window.

Last edited by Super D; 05-31-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
bjjmustang

what's your current suspension setup?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

*sigh*

FRPP's FR3 setup (the setup that comes on a Shelby GT stock) is the one that uses Mutlimatic tuned (not built) dampers, with Eibach springs and bars.

And let me say, from personal and direct experience. Those dampers, are nothing great. In fact everyone who changes from them finds the car to be a much nicer car to drive. Myself included. The first change we made on the Shelby GT my best friend owns (and the one I autocross and have won pretty much everything in for the last 3 years and the one you may have seen in car video's of) was to dump those dampers. Not out of hand, I tested them first to see what they were like. What are they like? Pretty good control on smooth roads admittedly--but horrible riding and do not deal with bumps well at all when pushing the car at all on roads that are not absolutely perfect.

Ok, they use a shaker rig. So does every bit suspension tuning company. That's like saying that anyone with a dyno can make your engine run it's best, it's not true. It can be a helpful tool, but is not the end all be all.

Frankly, for similar money you can have FR3 dampers, or Koni STR.T dampers. The Koni's have a lifetime warranty the FR3's do not. The Koni's ride hugely better as well, and I feel offer better control even when the roads are smooth--way better they they roads are not perfect. So that's a personal call, some will go that way because they think of them as "Ford" parts. Just remember, so are all the stock parts.

As for piecing something together vs. a "kit". Sure if you are clueless and have no help or someone to help you with the application of parts you can end up with a mess. But there are plenty of "kits" that suck, and suck hard. Just because a company might make good springs, doesn't mean their shocks are any good (thinking Eibach here). Ford just copped out and used commonly available production stuff from others, painted them blue and suddenly they are "Ford Racing Parts" Does that make them better all of a sudden?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Garyalpusa

+1 on the BMR stuff. I have a set of their lowering, leveling springs that I just took off because I am getting more serious about open track. The BMRs were great on the street and ok on the track. They also lowered the car without the slammed look. I used them with Tokico D specs set on soft for the street. The ride was comparable to my wifes CTS with the sport suspension. Very nice, controllable and did not give you a headache after a couple of hours on the highway slapping the expansion joints. I recommend you take a serious look at them. GA
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

There is a forum member called F1Fan who has a lot of solid-sounding advice on scaling up a S197 suspension with what he calls Stage 1, 2, and 3 upgrades. Here's a link to a relevent post he commented on:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...d-dampers.html
Old 05-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Chainsaw

You guys are missing the number one reason to go with a frpp kit. Less hassling from the dealer when you take you car to get service. They can't blame your parts for problems, if they installed them. Yes, i know they not suppose too anyway, but that always try.