Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shocks/struts to match Bullitt springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Did a bit of reading on the track pack and factored it into existing stuff that's been track tested on my own car with measuring equipment or stuff that's well documented (FRPP).

Performance Numbers:
Saleen=FRPP=Track Pack=Steeda

Benefits & Negatives:

Saleen = Benchmark
FRPP = Much less comfortable
Track Pack = More comfortable less control
Steeda = More control

Your idea won't work exactly. suspension can be more sensitive than almost any other mechanical system. You can severely destabilize the car just by driving it as you do normally in doing so your suspension will experience normal wear and tear and offset your alignment by a few degrees very easily which I'm sure your familiar with the results of. My point is these are exact things.

Doing an unknown setup like you intend is:

??? * ??? * ??? = ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

if you really want the best with a heavily tweaked and tested setup, I've got one where with just the suspension bits it will pull 1g (tested) guaranteed and with a mod I'm working with that moves around some of the suspension to fit wider tires 1.03g (conservative estimate). All on mere summer tires all on the street.

Last edited by Legion5; 06-22-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Sure, go ahead and post your setup.

Koni recommends those shocks and struts for the stock springs. I'm only going off there recommendation in the online catalog.

I'm really just looking for something mild for the street without lowering the car. Pulling 1 g in the turns is not necessary for my purposes, since I won't be taking it to the track. I definitely don't want to change tires. I selected these because they were modestly priced, had a good wear rating, good performance and I could rotate them front and rear. (If I were interested in track days, then I'd would have kept my C5 Corvette!)

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 06-22-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
According to the info Ford has released the Bullitt uses the same spring rates front and rear as the standard 2005-2009 GT. It was supposed to use the AC rear springs from the base V-6 Coupe which have a 6mm shorter free length than the BC springs that come on a base GT Deluxe. The only unique suspension parts I can find on the Bullitt are the shocks.
Well, that's always an option, since I can get new Bullitt shocks and springs for around $400. Still, everyone says it's not worth it.

Is there any difference in handling between the GT and the Bullitt? The reviews say they handle differently, but I've read more than one Bullitt that says there is little difference, which makes me wonder why they wasted there money on a Bullitt? (Looks, I guess. Definitely not worth if for 3.73 gears)

I'm just looking for a better handling suspension that's daily driver friendly and cheap to install. Lowering means bottoming out and I don't want that. It also means purchasing a lot of extras that go beyond what I want to spend...like adjustable upper control arms and adjustable panhard bars.

Looks like I have three options...

1) Sway Bars and Konis on stock springs
2) Sway Bars and Bullitt Suspension
3) Sway Bars and 2010 Track Pack Suspension (GT500 rear springs and I'm not sure about the rest)

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 06-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangtestuser

3) Sway Bars and 2010 Track Pack Suspension (GT500 rear springs and I'm not sure about the rest)
What you feel on the Bullitts is the firmer shocks.

As far as the 2010 Track Pack the suspension parts you would need would be:

1. 2007-2009 GT500 or 2010 GT Coupe Rear Springs.
Disclaimer: I cant say for sure if the free length is the same. Ford says the GT500 is 0.9" lower than the GT but owners dispute that. Rear Axle Weight should only be 50 lb heavier on a GT500 than a base GT Deluxe and I suspect thats mostly rear tire/wheel weight (unsprung) and the Shaker Stereo thats std on the GT500. The rear ride height shouldnt be much different on a GT500 or a GT with GT500 rear springs in my opinion. I should be able to tell you shortly as I plan to put a set on my 2007 GT.

2. 2007-2009 GT500 Sway Bars.

3. Front Springs should be the same as your current car if its a GT.

4. Shocks - I think you would do better to buy aftermarket than the factory Track Pack Shocks.

5. GT500 LCAs (Stiffer Bushings)

6. GT500 Upper Strut Mounts

If I was in your shoes I would try the shocks first.

PS The promotional packages Ford handed out at the 2010 Mustang Press Intro included the various spring rates, bar diameters and wall thickness, and relative changes to high and low speed damping between the 2009 Bullitt and the 2010 GT Base and Track Pack Suspensions. You should be able to find the info posted online if you search.

Last edited by Gene K; 06-23-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Forgot the upper strut mounts
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

I have Koni's on stock springs and sway bars. I think you will be well served with that option, but that is my opinion. Anyone that has driven my car has said it rides very nice, firm but not hard. Very positive feel to the road. I auto-cross my car aften and dial the yellows up a touch for those days. I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread but I have also read great reviews about the Hochkis sway bars. Sorry to stir the pot a little more for you but it can be another option to look into.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
obofglob

After trying different lowering springs and after talking to Sam Strano my 07 GT coupe is also back on the stock springs with Koni sports and FRPP (Eibach) sway bars.
I don't autocross or road race, I was just not happy with the stock handling and the floaty feeling at speed.
I agree with Jayel579, with Koni's our car feels much more composed. The ride is firm but not harsh. . The steering feel is also improved with the Koni's.
IMHO the sway bars help control the car in corners.
We live in Metro Detroit and the roads here are generally very bad. I miss the stance of the lowering springs but appreciate the extra travel the stock springs provide (I hope I said that correctly)
Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Legion5
Dude the 2010 mustang already performs similar to the 2005 Shelby GT and rides softer than the GT the track pack is going to be a beast.
No such thing as a 2005 Shelby GT.....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Seems to me the issue is you don't seem to be zeroed in on what you don't like. I know what I dislike the most, and that's by far, the damping. My GT is on stock springs and bar--and it makes me happy, and I'm a picky guy with suspension.

I drove a Bullitt today, the dampers SUCK--in fact they are worse then stock GT stuff. The man came to talk about STR.T's vs. Sports vs. his stock stuff. 1/4 mile up the road, he understood. He also understood that STR.T's are basically Sports set to full soft, and that since mine weren't at full soft, and the ride was not at all bad (in fact less harsh than his car stock) that STR.T's might not be enough for his personal tastes.

For all the internet opinions, you need to try and sort through the muck by asking about details. You already got some from a few of my customers. You already got some that have blantant errors.

You can change springs, bars, and everything else. But what good is a spring or bar change do you if your bitch is damping related? Call me crazy for asking......

And for all the hype, it seems to be overlooked that the Track pack car has some very special, and sticky 19" summer only Pirelli P Zero's... not exactly the BFG KDWS's or 17" Pirelli's that are all season tires. A lot of the performance is coming from the big jump in tire capability. In fact, I think the Track pack car will be overall a bit too stiff in the rear. A GT500 has bigger rear tires than front. GT's don't. And going up 25% in spring, AND 4mm on bar is a HUGE change. Yes a GT is a bit tight stock, but some alignment work, and the addition of a little more rear bar (like a 22mm) makes for a superbly balanced car. They are overshooting the mark IMHO, and on lesser tires the car will become looser and looser--as grip increases the cars tighten up.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 06-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Sure, go ahead and post your setup.

Koni recommends those shocks and struts for the stock springs. I'm only going off there recommendation in the online catalog.

I'm really just looking for something mild for the street without lowering the car. Pulling 1 g in the turns is not necessary for my purposes, since I won't be taking it to the track. I definitely don't want to change tires. I selected these because they were modestly priced, had a good wear rating, good performance and I could rotate them front and rear. (If I were interested in track days, then I'd would have kept my C5 Corvette!)
If you can't decide what you want I can't help you achieve your goals. You've chosen a very good set of well matched parts, but in my experience all that means is that there will be an improvement, whether it will be as good as something like the track pack is up in the air. Some people in fact many people who's mustangs i've personally tested make their cars worse with mods and their handling numbers go down so you're ahead.

There's very little reason to alter the stock suspension if you're not an enthusiast however, especially if you don't even want a slammed ride. The car already handles better than any non-M non-sport package production BMW in history and the 2010 base GT will take a corner faster than even the sport package BMW's and rides softer too.

There's a lot of tuning that went into it stock already.

My setup is confidential for now so I can get feedback and offer service and tuning tweaks to the initial releases directly, if you want it I need to 1 on 1 with you. My suspension package is not maxed out with tuning and I intend to make it beat the ZR1 which is the best handling car in America on normal tires and it's not too far off.

I'll also be in Richmond in about a month for the Saleen show messing around with my setup there.

Speaking of Saleen, I would recommend the Saleen suspension for your case removing all your other criteria and using only those from last post, it's $650 for the complete kit and I've mentioned in the other post how it performs, Saleen does not use upper arms, panhard bars or camber bolts and I've never bottomed out despite hitting speed bumps at speed and taking it down horrible local roads because I actually drive my cars when they're not being worked on I daily drive them. I have a few tweaks to it that I'd recommend if you want even more handling from Saleen but I don't think you'll want them nor would something like a steeda kit or greater be necessary.

Last edited by Legion5; 06-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.