Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

TCS ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The system isn't limited by the number of G's you are pulling, it only activates if you are already in a slide. You can still turn it fully off if you want. I'm just saying that its a good system to have for drivers who have not pushed the limits of the car before. Every car is different, and it would be nice if Ford had included a nice stability control program to let you explore the limits of the car without quite as much risk involved. You don't have to use the system if you don't want to, so why would you be against it?

Sorry for the OT comments. Fords TC system doesn't do much of anything to promote safety, so just turn it off.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSpecial631
is the TCS still somewhat engaged when you turn it off on the dash or is it completely deactivated?
Based on what I feel with 445 HP when it is OFF it is OFF.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

As far as I know, TCS is fully turned off when you switch it off.

Originally Posted by jahudso2
. . . if Ford had included a nice stability control program to let you explore the limits of the car without quite as much risk involved. You don't have to use the system if you don't want to, so why would you be against it?
Because it teaches you that it's OK to be clumsy with the controls when you're driving up around the limit. If you don't have to worry about being 'smooth' while driving hard ('smooth' being a good thing for both safety and passenger comfort), you'll never learn. And if you don't/won't/can't learn, you have no business driving that hard.

Because it leads to a mindset that accepts less responsibility for own personal safety, replacing that with the blind acceptance of somebody else's automated decisions.

As a driver, your skill level stops improving when you start counting on these systems to step in and keep you out of trouble - just like with the initial question, if you rely on TCS to suppress wheelspin you'll never learn fine throttle modulation.

As a tinkerer/occasional modifier I resent anything that would interfere with or otherwise reduce the effectiveness of efforts to improve performance.

FWIW. Some of these stability control systems either cannot be completely turned off, or may automatically reactivate themselves under certain conditions in spite of being intentionally switched off. I think ABS activation is one such trigger in some systems (and I think I read where BMW's is one example).

Want to learn the limits of your car (and yourself!) in a safe environment? Find an autocross. It's that simple.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-17-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Auto-xs are fun and a great way to learn the car's behavior, but only at low speeds. The feel of the car can change dramatically from 40mph in the auto-x to 80mph on the on-ramp of the highway. Plus there is usually little to no camber change in an auto-x course.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Precisely why it's best to learn the basic skills first and sort of "sneak up" on any shifts in the car's behavior at higher speeds later.

The S197 can respond to a certain pavement condition under power on a right hander (think about 3/4 of the way up at near-WOT in 3rd gear) by tossing the rear up a little and "loosening" the car. I suspect that PHB inclination has something to do with this.

I'd rather have some autocross seat time behind me in order to have an idea what I ought to be doing in response to that than to have it masked by the little electronic monkey with his own steering wheel and be essentially kept in the dark about what had just happened.

Norm