Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Stang-n-Vette
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
There are 101 factors in choosing your spring rates, your bars being just one.

I knew something was fishy. I looked up the H&R kit you are talking about, and it uses conventional springs. That makes the rates make a lot more sense. A loose rule of thumb is to halve those numbers in comparison to coilover springs, giving you roughly* 315/250, which isn't too bad, maybe a little soft up front in my experience - but those big bars are going to hurt you. If it were me i'd put stock bars back on, or at least take them with you. One wheel bumps will really upset the car with bars that big, and you sacrifice grip for a reduction in body roll, which isn't really a good trade.

Soft springs or soft bars - pick one
That was the fundamental difference between the Chevy engineers and Herb Adams at Pontiac (he designed the suspension system for the TransAm, Chevy copied and altered/modified most of his work).

His philosophy when he designed the car for mostly street performance, had fairly soft springs for a nice ride and beefy sway bars for handling and predictable control.
Chevy put thick performance springs and milder sway bars for, some reason. Dunno what they were thinking!

I always liked Herb's suspension plans because they were usually well thought out and fairly easy to incorporate, in stages too so you could go as far as you wanted for whatever ride you wanted.

My 2 pennies. (Sorry, I realize that I'm invoking the "C" word here, but that's where about 90% of my present knowledge resides! Still learning about the Ford, and Mustangs in particular!) :lol:
Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 14901490
The Stillen bars are adjustable & he set them all the way soft for best grip to start. Figured I'd go from there.

ALSO - THANKS for taking the time to look up & clarify the spring rates - it IS appreciated!

Do you mean just putting the stock REAR bar back on , or both?
BOTH. Change just the rear and you will be driving a 300 horsepower snowplow.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-n-Vette
That was the fundamental difference between the Chevy engineers and Herb Adams at Pontiac (he designed the suspension system for the TransAm, Chevy copied and altered/modified most of his work).

His philosophy when he designed the car for mostly street performance, had fairly soft springs for a nice ride and beefy sway bars for handling and predictable control.
Chevy put thick performance springs and milder sway bars for, some reason. Dunno what they were thinking!

I always liked Herb's suspension plans because they were usually well thought out and fairly easy to incorporate, in stages too so you could go as far as you wanted for whatever ride you wanted.

My 2 pennies. (Sorry, I realize that I'm invoking the "C" word here, but that's where about 90% of my present knowledge resides! Still learning about the Ford, and Mustangs in particular!) :lol:
I've read some of Herb Adams' stuff. My buddies' dad actually used to work with him when he was driving Porsches beack in the 60's and 70's. I've been told stories of him following the race car on the track at Willow Springs in his station wagon to observe aero pieces at speed. Funny stuff.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

after reading this thread i did some more of my own research and came up with nothing. all the other threads i read were split opinions and arguing over each others posts...checking different manufactuers marketing just got me stuck thinking i need this.

according to sam strano the panhard bar will not make the car feel anymore stable over rough roads...but besides centering the rear axle what benefit would this have to the car? stiffen the chasis? is the brace or bar more important?

with steeda sway bars..pro kits and d specs...i love the way my car handles...however...if the adjustable panhard bar and or brace will stiffen the chasis or improve something im definately on board...i just cant tell with all these different opinions on whether this is worth while...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Stang-n-Vette
1st Gear Member

The panhard bar's job is to center the body over the axle. That's all it does. It's only connected to two hard points laterally across the car, so stiffening the chassis is not it's job.

However, the better the manufacturer of the bar, the more stiff the bar will be, and less deflection under load.

You need an adjustable bar to re-center the axle if you have lowered the car, or otherwise upset the stock geometry. Your only other alternative is to make your own, and if you don't make that one adjustable, you will be making other complete bars for every inch you lower or raise the car. It's simple trigonometry.

Just get one of the ones suggested above and be done with it. They're not that expensive, and the right one will go a long way in assisting other components to do their jobs.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

sweet...the rear is not really off balance too much...ill wait until i get some money for a watts
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mykim72
sweet...the rear is not really off balance too much...ill wait until i get some money for a watts
If your axle is close to center and you are looking for a real performance improvement then waiting until you have enough money for a Watt's link is the way to go.

When choosing a Watt's link consider whether they have bushings or rod end. My FAYS2 is great on the track but a little noisy around town as it is all rods ends. If you can live with the noise it provides the best bang for the buck. I got mine from Sam Strano.