Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
roxmysox99

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I wouldn't worry as much about your camber. I'm purposely running about 1-1.2 myself and just deal with slightly increased wear on the inside tire. If you want to adjust it perfectly you can purchase some camber plates (steeda HD, etc). Sounds like your caster is the problem to me. You may have bent a strut up front as well when you hit the curb which will throw your caster off.

I'm not going to scold you for smacking a curb because I've been known to do that myself. I hit one so hard the rim bent and my car flew up onto the neutral ground. When I was first tweaking my suspension and dialed in completely neutral handling both my front AND rear tires broke loose at exactly the same time...sent me into a full powerslide sideways over a curb. Fortunately nothing was broken and a realignment corrected it. I thought for sure a tie-rod or strut was bent...
Thanks for all the info. Ill pass it along to ford. I appreciate all the help man. Ill update this thread whenever i get the solution or if i have more questions.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by roxmysox99
Well after spending 3 hours at ford yesterday they have still not came to a solution on my car. They say the alignment specs are perfect and it must be something else. Here are there alignment specs from ford.

Front Left

Camber: -1.0
Caster: 7.4
Toe: .04

Front Right

Camber: -1.3
Caster: 6.9
Toe: .02

They said that the alignment is fine. They said that each and every one of the specs are in the required range. So what is making my car pull to the right and wear unevenly?

The camber being .3 high on the right? and the caster being .4 higher on the left?
Your caster is in spec, but there is a difference of 0.5 degrees positive on the left side. I have read that some shops like to set the right side slightly (1/4 to 1/2 degrees) more positive than the left to compensate for road crown (slope for drainage). So road crown combined with the higher castor on the left may be a contributor. Unfortunately there's not much castor adjustment in the stock suspension.

I have the Maximum Motorsports castor/camber plates, which allows me to adjust both castor and camber. I have castor set almost equal on both sides: 6.9 on the left and 7.0 on the right.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Rik08GTvert
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem with my car pulling to the right after an alignment. do the okie test i learned growing up. take a long string. have a buddy hold it from the back against the back tire. take the other end and stretch it across the front tire. the string should touch all four points. the front and back of the back tire and the front and back of the front tire. repeat of the other side. if you have gaps that means the tow is off. mine was off so i took the car back to sears. three different times i had to take it back till it was fixed for good. watch them while they do it so you know they're not just half assing it
Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 AM
German Mustang79

Hello,

my name is Andre and i am from Germany. Before, sorry my English is not good but i hope you understand me. I read your Thread "Your Mustang Pulls to the right". I have a Mustang 2006 Convertible GT. I have the same Problem. I have new Kumho Tires and when the Mustang is rolling he pulls to the right. I make to this Time a agliment 5x Times and the Car still pulls to the right. I change all Parts on the Front Axis. Only the Steering Gear is to this Time the same. The Problem is still standing, the Car pulls to the Right.

Have you fix the Problem?

Thanks

Andre
Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=roxmysox99;6831619]So i guess that the caster is off by .5 which is causing me to pull to the right. After reading about caster the side with the least amount of positive caster is the side your car will pull to, which is the experience i am having. Correct?

So should i worry about my camber?[/QUOTE
That's correct ... the lower caster on the right side is going to make your car wander to the right, which is made worse by road crown. By setting caster slightly higher (1/4 to 1/2 deg) on the right you can often compensate for road crown. Caster/camber plates are a better option than drilling holes in the control arms.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

A little odd that when measured at NTB they said the camber was more negative on the driver side then at ford they say it's more negative on the passenger side.

Nevermind that, your specs appear to be reasonable and unlikely to cause a pull. There are other things that can cause pulls. Are you able to rotate the tires (left to right preferably, front to back would suffice)? Unfortunately defective tires do exist and can cause a pull. If after rotating the pull changes you pretty much know it's an issue with the tires.

Also would want to check your brake pads for even wear, inside vs. outside pad, left vs. right side. Sticking slides, frozen calipers, or obstructed brake hoses can cause a pull as well.

From what you described, approx 5 seconds for the vehicle to veer half way into another lane really isn't all that bad. Does it only do it on one specific road? Or does it do it on a road where you have a center median as well? Roads with grassy medians usually have road crown to the left as opposed to the normal crown to the right. I would try this as well, just for more information.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
German Mustang79

Fix it ....