Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Just for anyone still following along, in my 2010 GT putting on the Boss diff cover with the standard vent up top and then plugging the hole on the axle has solved my diff leaking problems entirely. Two track days at MAM, with those long, sweeping corners would have made it leak if it was going to, as would some additional 'testing' I did on my local roundabouts. Not a drop of leakage anywhere.

Also did Royal Purple 75W140 with no friction modifier and the diff has been as quiet as stock. Used a Lube Locker gasket too; seems like a great product.

My car is obviously not nearly as fast or powerful as some of yours, though it is being driven to the limit on track. Just ask Drano . But this may not work for some of you at which point I believe a catch can is your only hope.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Just for anyone still following along, in my 2010 GT putting on the Boss diff cover with the standard vent up top and then plugging the hole on the axle has solved my diff leaking problems entirely. Two track days at MAM, with those long, sweeping corners would have made it leak if it was going to, as would some additional 'testing' I did on my local roundabouts. Not a drop of leakage anywhere.

Also did Royal Purple 75W140 with no friction modifier and the diff has been as quiet as stock. Used a Lube Locker gasket too; seems like a great product.

My car is obviously not nearly as fast or powerful as some of yours, though it is being driven to the limit on track. Just ask Drano . But this may not work for some of you at which point I believe a catch can is your only hope.

interesting. when my shop put in the RP without the modifier, it ground like crazy! then when i added it the noise went away entirely. i talked to the shop and they said i was the 1st one to ever complain about it, but a bunch of people here said its almost required so that it doesnt grind. weird
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

In the thread I saw about RP in the rear diff, it looked to me like roughly half did NOT use friction modifier and had no trouble. Some put it in up front, so they don't really know if they did or didn't need it. Then a few said they had chattering issues, added the modifier, and it quieted down. RP says it has all necessary additives for diffs like ours, and in my case it's working as advertised.

A little odd that there's so much variability in results for something like this, but diffs are sensitive beasts so it's not entirely unexpected. Just glad mine worked without issue. Been in there 5000 miles now, including the two track days plus a 3300 mile road trip out west; clearly it's doing just fine as-is.