Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Default Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?

Did my first track day in my 2010 GT (3.73 axle package) yesterday. Great fun, and the car did well. Only issue I noticed was that the diff spit up some fluid out of that little spring loaded pressure relief (?) valve thing on the right side of the axle. The car is near new, with 1500 miles on it. I seem to recall someone said this might happen, which is why I checked.

The question is, is this an issue to be concerned with? Or does it just puke up a bit every time it gets hot? Or was it slightly overfilled from the factory and when the fluid got good and warm it had to get rid of some? Just curious if this is a problem or just something that happens and I should just wipe it off and go on. And possibly check the fluid level and top off? Thanks for any help.

Phil
2010 GT
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Did my first track day in my 2010 GT (3.73 axle package) yesterday. Great fun, and the car did well. Only issue I noticed was that the diff spit up some fluid out of that little spring loaded pressure relief (?) valve thing on the right side of the axle. The car is near new, with 1500 miles on it. I seem to recall someone said this might happen, which is why I checked.

The question is, is this an issue to be concerned with? Or does it just puke up a bit every time it gets hot? Or was it slightly overfilled from the factory and when the fluid got good and warm it had to get rid of some? Just curious if this is a problem or just something that happens and I should just wipe it off and go on. And possibly check the fluid level and top off? Thanks for any help.

Phil
2010 GT
There's a TSB on that problem. Ford part number AR3Z-4A058-B fixes it.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:40 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I noticed my 2011 did the same thing, I haven't been worrying about it though...perhaps I should.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Its not a problem, they all do it when pushed hard. Some guys have fabbed up catch cans.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like that TSB part may fix it. Rather not have the axle puking after every event if at all avoidable. I'll order up one of those parts and get it put on and see how it does in a few weeks if I can get back to the track. Will post about it on here too, as it sounds like that could be helpful to a number of folks if it works.

Phil
2010 GT
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Its not a problem, they all do it when pushed hard. Some guys have fabbed up catch cans.
Catch can on a diff, thats a new one!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Endurance levels of corner-carving do add a few requirements that you won't see very often at the local 1/4 mile. Cars running NASCAR cup and endurance road race series are even apt to have differential coolers complete with a pump driven off the driveshaft.

Norm
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Thanks for the info. Sounds like that TSB part may fix it. Rather not have the axle puking after every event if at all avoidable. I'll order up one of those parts and get it put on and see how it does in a few weeks if I can get back to the track. Will post about it on here too, as it sounds like that could be helpful to a number of folks if it works.

Phil
2010 GT
I installed the TSB part a week ago and did my first trackday in the new car on Monday this week. I inspected the underside today and I had no leaks at the diff (or anywhere else for that matter). Of course it might have been ok anyway, but with the turkey baster fitting, there was no mess.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

JAJ, that's good news. Mine just came in at my dealer today, I just have to go pick it up and get it put on. Hope to be back at the track in a couple weeks to try it out. I wasn't being totally lame, but this was my first track day in any kind of muscle car and it never got over 60 degrees and I only ran 4 20-minute sessions. Suffice to say, it's only going to get worse for my car once I get comfy with it and the temps warm up . I suspect without the part you would have seen a little leakage even taking it pretty easy, especially given the extra power you have with the 5.0.

Too bad this isn't just a standard part on the car, but I get the cost factor and if it's fixed for $50 I can live with that. And yeah, I could have probably gotten it warrantied, but for $50 I'll save the hassle of taking my car in

Phil
2010 GT
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
corruptor

Sorry for resurrecting a semi-old thread but does anyone know if TSB 10-3-7 was applied to 2011-2012 models? parchisi, do you still have fluid puking out the rear diff?

Quick Reply: Diff spit up a bit on track; cause for concern?